Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I spend about 20 to 30 minutes per day shooting at a target in my catch box. I've been shooting from 20 feet at a soda can suspended from a hook. I had been getting two hits in a row, then missing one or two and so on. Today, my can broke and I couldn't hang it up. I then wadded up a piece of printer paper and taped it into a ball and hung it up instead. It's about a fourth the size of the soda can. I started shooting and was getting 3 and 4 hits in a row. So I have no idea why I am hitting a smaller target more consistently. I doubt that I made a huge leap in my shooting overnight (unless I did). Does that happen? Anyway, I'm not complaining. Lol. Just wondering.

· Registered
513 Posts
You will have improved overnight a little - I have found that over the years, the best way to learn is to do a bit of practice, sleep and do some more the day after (works for all aspects of life).
As for the target size, the small target gives you a smaller point to focus on - try the soda can with a small target sticker on it. That will give you the same effect.

· Mojave Mo
5,582 Posts
You are experiencing the 'Jedi Mind Vortex' or JMV for short. The Latin translation is something like, "Don't think, shoot". My favorite target is a 1.5" plastic practice golf ball. I set them up in the woods at random distances and pretend it is a White Headed Rabid Squirrel. If I move up to the 3" whiffle ball then my brain tells me I can hit it all day long because I know how to hit the 1" ball. Somehow my brain gets lazy. It takes me a few minutes to stop missing the 3" ball. I believe this is where the 'Aim small, Miss small' mantra should come into play. Imagine that between 3ft and 30ft you can knock the wings off of a fly. If I can make that happen then my entire world is filled with 'impossible' targets. Summary: keep shooting. 🎯 🎯 🎯 🎯 🎯 🎯 🎯 🎯 🎯 🎯 🎯 🎯 🎯 🎯 🎯

· Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
when i start missing the larger targets [cans] i switch over to shooting the spinners [starbucks drink lids] and usually gets me back in the groove,however there are days i cant hit the side of a barn,even from inside the barn :)
Yeah, I started out not being able to hit the ground with my hat. I've been watching and implementing the stance, anchor point, dominant eye, and aiming for the past couple of weeks and it's paying off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts