Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Cogito Ergo Armatum Sum
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted before I went on vacation about my first slingshot kill, and mentioned that I was going to have to figure out how to do something useful with the carcass, as it's just not pukka to bust some poor innocent critter in the noggin with a steel ball, and then just toss it in the tip. So, I went ahead and peeled it, and pinned the bark out to cure.

After I got back from vacation, I had to actually do something with it, and this is what I managed to come up with.

I laminated the cured snake skin onto some black garment weight leather I had salvaged from some homey's leather pimp coat I picked up for a few bucks at a hock shop.

I cut it into 3 tapered sections and stitched them into a rough cylinder, added a round bottom of some heavier leather I had laying about, and then added a top cuff of the plain black leather. A couple of holes, a bit of leather lace, a couple of hand turned beads from the lathe (ivory and gemsbok horn), and a lanyard knot later, It's ready to fill.

It's a bit smaller than I had originally planned, but heck, I didn't have a dedicated bb pouch anyway, so I guess it worked out after all.

What do you think? Backyard hazard to ammo storage, Does that count as recycling?

· Premium Member
2,320 Posts
Fantastic, that is one really nice, original ammo bag, well done!

· Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
10,979 Posts
Well it's a splendid job, James, but: Something in the back of my head keeps saying, "it's a good thing animals haven't figured out a way to make stuff out of humans yet."

956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh yeah, the eco-crusaders would love your take on recycling...
I think its aces.
Yes, unfortunately, the PETA crowd seem to have a bit of an issue with my definition. But, to paraphrase the Bard, "Rape'em if they can't take a joke"

956 Posts
You killed a snake? Nooooooooo!!!!!!!
Very pretty though...copperhead?
Well. yes, in this situation, I did. Copperheads are common around here, and can get aggressive this time of year. It was in my yard and my kids run around there. I wouldn't have in other circumstances. I used to have a pair of royal pythons, and made a pretty serious try at breeding them, but even with the lights in their room computer controlled to simulate the right time of year, I couldn't get the temp control to jive just right. They are notoriously hard to convince to lay eggs anyway. I ended up having to give them to a high school bio dept when I moved, but I'm by no means an ophiophobe.
It did make a nice ammo pouch though.

James

· Registered
134 Posts
I figured it must've been something like that once I saw what type of snake skin it looked like in the pic.

956 Posts
That's awesome! Didn't think snake skin would be very tough
Actually, it's really not. That's why I glued it to the garment leather substrate to give it some strength and elasticity. Some larger snakeskins are fairly tough, but still, in life they rely on their scales and scutes for protection, which are like our fingernails, they don't stay attached to the skin. There are two basic way to preserve snake skins, the one I use involves a dry powdered preservative, which causes the scales to come loose (I usually remove them with compressed air) and dries the actual skin to a stiff, almost tissue paper consistency. the other involves glycerine and alcohol and leaves the skin a little more elastic, but never really dries out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.