Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had what I thought was a nice oak board from a pallet, that was one-inch thick. Also I am coming into the modern age because of my hands wearing out, so I now own a new jig saw and a dremel (actually I've had a router for years, but don't know how to use it except to sink door hinges
). Decided to have a go at a new slingshot, using my new tools.
Well I discovered a crack in the handle of the slingshot after I'd cut it out and carved in some nifty curves and did some round-over with my dremel. I thought no problem. So I drilled a hole and inserted a skewer and some glue. Then I saw another crack going right down one of the forks. Thing was looking pretty good too -- not excellent, but it had potential.

Oh well, there goes 2-1/2 hours. Not a complete loss, though. I needed the practice with the saw and dremel -- still do, for that matter.

That's the problem with pallet wood, especially oak. I have made some really nice stuff with it, but one never knows. . .

·
Resigned
5,547 Posts
Its a good thing you didnt pull back on it and take the shot to the face. I just dont mess with solid wood any more. Every one I had broke on me. I was going to purchase Olive wood from Ancient Israel to make a shooter but its exspensive and it surely would have broke. At 81 cents a shooter and they just dont break. But I found a place on line that sells 2 foot stainless steel tods and with shipping its about 10 dollars a rod so I may get the 5/16 dia 304 ss and attempt to bend a shooter.

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
D/Evan, Oh yeah. That goes without saying!

dgui: I'm thinking about bending some tubing or rod, too. Need a change of pace.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.