Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think I bought this about 70 years ago when I was about 10 or 12. "Wham-o Sportsman" was stamped on one side in an oval ring around the words. Anyone have any history on the manufacturing of this vintage slingshot? It's still in decent shape although I seem to have spent time with a burning glass engraving my nickname and some other graphics on each side. Just ordered some bands for it from Gary in New Jersey. I also learned that mere ownership of a slingshot is now a possible felony in the fine state of New Jersey. What's next? Good grief!

·
Super Moderator
7,029 Posts
Gary, any idea about where I can get some 3/8th ammo?
Well Oz, I used Royal Steel in Illinois for ammo for years. They used to be the cheapest. Maybe some of the guys will chime in here with a more current and cheaper source.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Gary, you saved me from someone putting a pointy hat on my head and sticking me in a corner based on my previous message to you. I should have added "locally", since I knew that there were many sources on the internet. I was actually 'coding' you to see if you also handled ammo, since as New Jerseyians' we can no longer pick it up at Dick's or Bass Pro. My point being I'd rather get it from you (locally) than from some offshore website. Should have just asked you outright. Anyway thanks for the reply and the overnight delivery. Can't tell you how nostalgic I felt when I mounted those gum straps, took me back 60+ years when I used to terrify bullfrogs in my local streams and lakes. Thanks again, talk to you later.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Reed, I bought my Wham-o Sportsman via mail order and somehow I managed to hold onto it in my gear collection for all these years.

When I came home from Germany in 1959 I found out a lot of my "stuff" was missing like my Exacto carving set, my favorite baseball glove, my BB gun and a few other cherished items. But, as noted, I still had my slingshot and it hung in my shed for 50+ years until last week when I picked it up and determined that I was going to find new bands for it, which I did. (Thanks, Gary) I actually own a couple of tube banded slingshots that I picked up in my travels, but none held my interest like my old wooden Sportsman. Wife thinks I'm I'm crazy for messing around with a kid's 'toy' at my age, but I'll tell you,Reed, I do everything I can to "keep the old man out" if you know what I mean. I still hunt with a recurve and wooden arrows from Three Rivers, I still use my Summit Viper climber, and I'll be up at the Farm in Hopewell next week with my best friend, hoping to whack an 8 point sex-crazed buck.God doesn't promise us the next moment or minute, and I intend to use every bit of my time left doing what I love to do.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I think I bought mine when I was 9, which would have been 1962 or thereabouts.

I then made several board cuts (I didn't know the term then) from the pattern, only I think I reduced the fork height considerably. I learned the hard way that plywood is better, after a fork broke along the grain with a plain pine board.

Those models are long gone but I bought a Wham-o for 10 cents at a yard sale a couple years back and still have it with my collection.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think I bought this about 70 years ago when I was about 10 or 12. "Wham-o Sportsman" was stamped on one side in an oval ring around the words. Anyone have any history on the manufacturing of this vintage slingshot? It's still in decent shape although I seem to have spent time with a burning glass engraving my nickname and some other graphics on each side. Just ordered some bands for it from Gary in New Jersey. I also learned that mere ownership of a slingshot is now a possible felony in the fine state of New Jersey. What's next? Good grief!
I still have my Wham-O Sportsman too. I got it in the late '60s. As a kid I thought they'd always existed and always would as every kid in my neighborhood had them! A few years back I used my Sportsman as a model for making new sling shots. I don't recall the exact number I made (at least 25) but I'm still giving them away as raffle prizes at my sportsmen's club and to friends.

Mine are much more refined than the Wham-o sample I have. The Wham-o is asymmetrical and has bandsaw marks all over the edges. Mine... I made a symmetrical pattern and after cutting the wood to rough size on the bandsaw I pattern shaped it on my 3 HP shaper and router table. Guys my age and older, upon seeing it, called it a "Wham-O Sportsmen." It is a very recognizable slingshot for sure.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The old Wham-O's are great shooters with Theraband Gold. Some real ZAP to those 3/8" steel balls!
I had some fork hits years ago and rubbed wood glue over the area to strengthen the damaged area. Dried on fairly clear. Not sure how much additional strength it added but it made me feel better. ????

I just love this model!! Simple, harmless looking and deadly on small game and tin cans.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
The old Wham-O's are great shooters with Theraband Gold. Some real ZAP to those 3/8" steel balls!
I had some fork hits years ago and rubbed wood glue over the area to strengthen the damaged area. Dried on fairly clear. Not sure how much additional strength it added but it made me feel better.

I just love this model!! Simple, harmless looking and deadly on small game and tin cans.
I wouldn't worry about the strength.... From a cosmetic standpoint you can steam dents out. Lightly sand the dented area to remove the finish. Place a damp washcloth over the damaged area and apply a hot clothes iron to create steam. If the dent(s) are deep it may take several applications of steam to fully raise the dent. Then let it dry, sand off the raised grain, and apply a penetrating finish.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts