Slingshots Forum banner

Natural wood or man made or cored

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

· Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bin kicking about since 2016 ish and I made a couple frames and I am on a few social platforms. What I finding is a natural wood frame either natty or carved goes over better than any man made frame I have done . So either I suck at doing man made frames or people just like look of wood better
I myself like all kinds some frames you want thin and maybe wood can not handle the bands or you want a frame that’s a puzzle look . Maybe just a production frame that’s wallet friendly and safe .
I am not best getting my thoughts to words so I keep this part short . Short of it what’s your favourite frame material.

· Registered
2,777 Posts
Wood, naturals for my making skills, budget and toolset.

If I buy a production or custom, I'd probably choose a cored G10, solid G10, multi wood or something funky and fancy.

That said, I shoot poly and am more confident shooting them over my exotic frames, for fear of fork hits and damage. Even though, I couldn't tell you the last time I had a fork hit

· Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
G10 of course. Hated it at first but it definitely grew on me lol.
Yes your on point with your g10 and just getting better 😁 I kinda had a laugh other day with your new one saying ( yep think I keep this one ) yep until you make a cooler one 😉 ya got send me a quarter every time you say that 🙃 planning my retirement haha . Thanks Jon 👍

· Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm just getting started building, so I'm using primarily wood as it's relatively easy to work with. I'd like to get into G10 and maybe some aluminum cores eventually.

ETA: I'd like to get my hands on some skateboard deck.

Also, @Portboy you do some great stuff with G10.
I like some old decks myself one thing I have not tried. I tried metal at home and it’s a pita for what tools I have don’t do it anymore. G10 is very doable at home for what I have but it’s an outside thing you don’t want that dust collecting up indoors. You also need a good mask it’s nasty stuff you don’t want to be sucking that stuff in ☠ Thanks bro 😎

· Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wood. Got lots of it in various species.
Easy to work with. Does not kill bandsaw blades like carbon fibre.
Really like the paracord handle wrap. So many colour options and wrap styles.
The man made stuff can make quick work killing blades on ya I have bin there . Funny thing tho g10 seems a lot easier on sanding drums over a hard piece oak or sugar maple 🍁🤷‍♂️ . Do you gut the cord for your wraps ? I tried a few para and leather and can never get them stay tight on handle . Thanks Roll Fast 😁

· Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wood, naturals for my making skills, budget and toolset.

If I buy a production or custom, I'd probably choose a cored G10, solid G10, multi wood or something funky and fancy.

That said, I shoot poly and am more confident shooting them over my exotic frames, for fear of fork hits and damage. Even though, I couldn't tell you the last time I had a fork hit
You work wood awesome love seeing your frames 😁 an expensive frame definitely plays on your mind releasing the pouch I hear you there . Last fork hit I got was last time I played with a tight gap pfs . No more them for me 25mm gap and up seems be my sweet spot . Thanks Bruce

· Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A mix of anodized aluminum and micarta for this guy. But of course I love it all.
Your set up pretty sweet for metal 👍🏻 You have one heck of a basement haha . Most guys want a bar and pool table or shuffle board kicking stereo system not Shane full on metal shop ♥ Pretty cool . Thanks Shane

1 - 20 of 65 Posts