Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It might be different for you folk from a larger city, but here on the island everyone kinda gets to know everyone, or at least who your father is lol.

I wasn't sure what the ladies at my post office were gonna think when I started sending out frames, the very first one I shipped, when the lady asked what is was, and I told her a slingshot, she said ohh!! Will it kill a rabbits and birds? Not really sure what to say....I said well I guess if that's what your intent was you could definitely do that. Then she asked if I hunt with them. So I told her yes, she said would you come to my place? I've got rabbits and crows in my gardens and we're in town so my husband won't use the rifle lol.

And the other lady always has stories about how her grandfather and brothers always hunted rabbits and squirrels with them when she was a kid.

And now every time I ship a slingshot I have to package it there because they want to see it. And every time I pick one up they make me open it there so they can take a look lol

It's amazing to see how excited these senior ladies get to see the slingshots.

·
Premium Member
10,370 Posts
My friend you just walked into some good hunting. City rabbits and squirrels are fat on garden veggies and bird seed. I’d definitely take her up on that. I have a very small po myself and I know that they are just itching to know what is in there especially on parsels headed out of the country but they’ve never asked. On the custom forms I put “wood carving “ what do you say it is?

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Brother you are lucky! I can't imagine walking into a hunting permission like that. If that happened to me my wife would hardly ever see me again! We have to declare the contents on the customs form. I usually put "hand made wood/metal toys", or "novelty slingshot toy". I ship from a few different post offices so don't really get to know anyone. One kind of regular is pleasant and asks what kind of toys and if I made them.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
I always get asked if there's anything hazardous, poisonous or potentially dangerous? "Well, I guess it depends on who's going to shoot it"

I won't even mention a slingshot, all it takes is one busy body to ruin your day because they don't understand.

I boxed up a bicycle (using a bike box that was shipped to me) and took it to the UPS store, after measuring it the guy told me it was too big, even though it met all the measurements. I told him a bike was just delivered in the same box...... nope, they won't take it, it's too big!!! I wanted to slap that pinhead! :cursin: I took it to the Fed Ex place and they shipped no questions asked.

·
Premium Member
3,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brother you are lucky! I can't imagine walking into a hunting permission like that. If that happened to me my wife would hardly ever see me again! We have to declare the contents on the customs form. I usually put "hand made wood/metal toys", or "novelty slingshot toy". I ship from a few different post offices so don't really get to know anyone. One kind of regular is pleasant and asks what kind of toys and if I made them.
Smart putting them down as toys. Back before I was married and had kids and had lots of money to play with I used to buy a lot of handmade fixed blade knifes.

they would always be declared as "bushcraft tools" Which is exactly what they are I guess.

·
Premium Member
3,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I always get asked if there's anything hazardous, poisonous or potentially dangerous? "Well, I guess it depends on who's going to shoot it"

I won't even mention a slingshot, all it takes is one busy body to ruin your day because they don't understand.

I boxed up a bicycle (using a bike box that was shipped to me) and took it to the UPS store, after measuring it the guy told me it was too big, even though it met all the measurements. I told him a bike was just delivered in the same box...... nope, they won't take it, it's too big!!! I wanted to slap that pinhead! :cursin: I took it to the Fed Ex place and they shipped no questions asked.
We have that problem as well with some of the curriers we deal with. I run a machine shop and we repair a lot of heavy equipment parts. The customer will ship us the part, we fix it, send it back on the same pallet with the same currier and low and behold now it's overweight.

·
Premium Member
3,259 Posts
My Post people are Mrs. Lori and Mr. Tony...

I put Wooden Handmade Novelty on all customs forms...I learned this after gifting my post people slingshots.

I live in TN and hardly anyone bats an eye at slingshots or knives...the post folks will warn me if I shipping to a restricted country if they know.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
My mail Carrier is to lazy to get out of his mail truck. If the item needs a signature he'll honk his horn once than leave a note that it was undeliverable and drive off. Have complained numerous times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I had a mail carrier once who complained that I didn't shovel in front of my box, but it hadn't snowed in a week, so I went to the PO to get my mail. I told the clerk that he pulls up and honks his horn for deliveries and she told me he wasn't allowed to do that.

Maybe search a little and see if he's not doing his job. But then again, you don't want to start losing SPS packages either!!

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
A little tip from personal experience... My house has a security camera that announces when someone approaches my house. It alerted one day and it was my mail carrier. I was expecting a package so I watched for it to be delivered. She had my package in hand, but it was raining and I was worried that it would be damaged. She made sure the package was out of the rain and also out of view from the street. I immediately called the post office and spoke with the postmaster to tell him how much I appreciated what she had done. Long story short, I now get extremely good, thoughtful mail service! They are used to getting only negative feedback and reported problems, so a positive call goes a long way. You could clearly tell that the postmaster was surprised and happy to hear what I told him.

Even if your carrier hasn't done anything special, try giving your local postmaster a call and tell him or her that you appreciate your carrier doing a great job every day. Tell them you don't get the chance to speak with your carrier and ask that they express your gratitude. Make sure you leave your address! Might not work all the time, but it can't hurt and you might just end up getting extra special deliveries!

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
A little tip from personal experience... My house has a security camera that announces when someone approaches my house. It alerted one day and it was my mail carrier. I was expecting a package so I watched for it to be delivered. She had my package in hand, but it was raining and I was worried that it would be damaged. She made sure the package was out of the rain and also out of view from the street. I immediately called the post office and spoke with the postmaster to tell him how much I appreciated what she had done. Long story short, I now get extremely good, thoughtful mail service! They are used to getting only negative feedback and reported problems, so a positive call goes a long way. You could clearly tell that the postmaster was surprised and happy to hear what I told him.

Even if your carrier hasn't done anything special, try giving your local postmaster a call and tell him or her that you appreciate your carrier doing a great job every day. Tell them you don't get the chance to speak with your carrier and ask that they express your gratitude. Make sure you leave your address! Might not work all the time, but it can't hurt and you might just end up getting extra special deliveries!
A box of cookies marked,"Hey Postie! Good job Yo!" never goes amiss.

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
981 Posts
My man Keith has never asked. Same as DSIL, they just ask if there's anything poisonous, flammable, etc. in the package. I will say the dude is a top notch employee though. He caught one of my envelopes being overweight, helped me with the postage, etc. Most of the people I deal with at USPS aren't great, but he always takes good care of me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.