Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
So Many Marbles ------------- So Little Time ;-)
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a long, long time my practice ammo of choice was 5/8" marbles. I could get them very cheap and I could see them fly, which I loved.. time has come and gone a bit and it seems the marble prices have climbed where I don't want to shoot 100 of them in a day, I'd rather save them for hunting. The 3/8" steel I now get is 1/2 the price of a discount marble.

A few months or so ago I started shooting 2040 single tubes and .177 cal BB's and in reality I have not looked back. I can carry 200 or so BB's in my vest pocket, they take up very little room and are very light. Shooting single 2040 tubes like I do or what ever you may like, the BB's come out like missiles and fly very, very flat. You are not going to use these for hunting (maybe HOSPS at close range), but for target shooting and working on form and keeping your muscle memory they work great. Another plus is because you are using light pull elastic, you must pay a lot of attention to your form to keep it smooth.

The cost advantage is also a big thing, as 6000ea Daisy BB's cost me about $7.58 (includes tax). So 100 shots a day cost me a little more than 12.6 cents, a full heavy day of shooting 150 shots cost me less than 19 cents !! You can't beat that with a stick. To put it more graphically for every marble I shoot, I get over 15 shots using BB's :- ) Now if you are using marbles for practice and may be on the mooch at the same time, well that is a different story !

Again, just because they are .177 cal BB's doesn't mean these little guys are wimps. Like I said, the BB's I shoot using single 2040 tubes are extremely fast and very, very flat shooting ... 6.5ish active and a 32+ draw, small BB pouch !!!

Yes, your hunting ammo is going to have a different trajectory for sure, your aiming point will most likely be different, and the pull of the elastic will be much heavier, but your form should remain constant. In between my practice with BB's this past month or so I let loose a few with my heavier rigs just to keep things in perspective. Sure the drop is different and recoil is different, but the form, anchor point and line of sighting down the elastic are pretty much the same.

How Say You :- )

wll

·
Registered
380 Posts
I like using 9.5 and 11mm steel. But now I want to give those BBs a try :)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
So Many Marbles ------------- So Little Time ;-)
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bb's are just too small for me. Maybe a hyper-light pouch would help because I just can't feel them.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Yes, they are tiny little suckers, and you do need a very small pouch, With anything other than a BB pouch I really can't feel the BB either. Besides that, man alive you would be surprised how fast they fly with the 2040's I'm using.

Most of my shooting is in the 15-25ish yard range and even at 25 yards they are a tightrope !!! Even though they are flying fast, I still would not use them for hunting ... except for insects ... which could be a blast. I would have a blast shooting Cicadas, Tarantula Wasps, Wasps (if I could see them), Dragon Flies (although Dragon Flies are good) or ? Shooting snails in the back yard would be a real hoot ... and they don't move fast ;- )

wll

·
Neophyte
2,000 Posts
I shoot 3/8 almost exclusively (90% of the time) I use a catch box so I don't lose much of it. It feels good in the pouch and flies accurately. I like airsoft biodegradable ammo for small ammo just to plink around. I have tried .177 bbs but they are a bit fiddley to me.

Reactions: Tag and KawKan

·
Registered
574 Posts
For me . . . 3/8" steel is pretty much the 'do-all' - 22LR of the SS World. They're very accurate . . .flat shooting . . . of sufficient size to hunt with . . . and cheap enough (at less than two cents per round) to plink and stump shoot with in the field without much financial pain . . . So goes without saying, they're what I practice with as well.

Of course I have some 'contrast', having spent a small fortune on ammo for my powder burners (in a former life), 3/8" steel is a welcome relief for my shooting addiction! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I generally use 7 to 8 mm (0.27 - 0.31 inch) steel ammo for daily target practice on corrugated cardboard placed at 10 yards against a set of old bath towels slung over trestles, which enables me to reuse the same ammo over and over again.

The 0.55 yellow "Precise" flat bands cut to 22 cm length, and tapered from 20 to 12 mm that I use for this purpose have lasted several hundred shots: excellent flat band rubber, no excessive draw weights with this setup during extended shooting sessions.

Now and then I take out my heavy duty steel rod slingshot to shoot 12 mm steel at old junk that needs a few dents and some holes through it. :headbang:

In view of the crazy times we are all (sadly) experiencing, and the massive frightening economic impact that lies ahead, I prefer not to be wasteful with the ammo I have - unless of course it consists of rounded stones from riverbeds, which are abundant and free.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
What the OP said about covers it for me except i use flat bands. If i had to pick only one kind of ammo and one slingshot it would be .177 bb's and a simple PFS. I also shoot some pea gravel i pick up on some of the trails along my walks using my bb setup just for fun. Pea gravel can get up to some pretty good speeds and is fairly accurate if you pick out the more even round stones.

Having said that i do have couple of gappers which i shoot marbles and homemade clay balls from,occasionally from the deck out back of our place,when im not well enough to walk to far. Im living with heart failure.

We back onto a natural wooded ravine type area which cannot be developed. Some wild life back there. Had the odd Cougar sighting and Deer and lotsa Coyotes and Bunnies right on the edge of town here. Would never run out of food if things got desperate. Bunnies everywhere. Its mostly why i keep some larger ammo around,good to scare off big critters and in case food gets scarce. BB's wouldnt kill much edible stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts