Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
For now I'll have to settle for making a natty due to the few tools I have (some hand tools, a dremel and a couple of drills).
I wish I had a small workshop like some of you.

This summer I'll make a natty, we'll see how it turns out...
I will post photos here for you to laugh for a while
You can make a heck of a slingshot with hand tools alone. I still do lots of my work by hand. I’ve picked up some things to speed up the process over the years but I could 100% achieve my results now with basic hand tools. It would just take waaay longer.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Lucked upon this naturally curvy natural fork recently, and trying to impart my inner [mention]Ibojoe [/mention] on it……it’s still very wet, so need to wait for it to dry some more before more shaping, but it’s already feeling good in the hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Darrell Allen

** SlingLyfe Band Up **
That’s a sweet find. Can’t wait to see the final product.

·
Registered
433 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts

Odd concept I had for a natural. Leaving a unrounded edge each side. Hard to take good pictures of the shape. But I guess an easy example it like an eye sort off. Super comfortable to hold because the back unrounded edge locks into the crevice of the hand. Palm and fingers curl around the rounded parts. It’s an odd one for sure but Im digging how it’s coming along.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Looking sweet Caleb !

Darrell Allen

** SlingLyfe Band Up **
Thanks ! I was going to build another G10 slingshot for my next but our trade recently had me in the natural mood. Already got some more forks lined up. There’s a huge straight one I found that I can get real fancy with. Already playing around with ideas in my head. Lol

·
Registered
433 Posts
Finally finished this oversized / thicker than normal Birch ply cored, Mahogany scaled Wasp FTC knockoff this morning …….. The mahogany has a beautiful golden sheen to the grain, love it.

It is sanded up to 1200 grit, two coats of Satan‘s Snot ( CA Glue, MO’s fav LOL ) and that is sanded back to dull again with the same 1200 grit paper then a healthy coat of Howard’s feed and wax with a final hand buffing till polished.

This thing is smooth as a newborn babies behind !

I added an inlaid Turquoise aiming point of reference, and used a blue highlighter to tint the birch ply core a bit for some contrast And a bit of punch…… I now wish I had not done that, but since it is staying in my personal collection I guess it really doesn’t matter.

Hope y’all like it….Heck, at least it’s not my usual DBS I post, LOL

Darrell Allen

** SlingLyfe Band Up **
Dang that’s a beauty. I still haven’t found where my stash of high grit paper is packed. So that last one I finished I only got to 220. Plan to refinish it higher though when I find the paper. Curious did you mainly use the CA as a filler or no? I use really thin CA and I’d sand right through 2 coats. So was curious.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Thanks Caleb, I use the water thin CA mostly as a sealer not really a pore filler.
After the CA dries, I sand it very lightly and just enough to scuff it back to dull. Then I wipe it down real good and either spray poly finish it from a rattle can, or use the Howards feed and wax or Minwax paste wax and then a good buffing.

Darrell Allen

** SlingLyfe Band Up **
Good to know. I’ll have to try that sometime.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Working on these two currently…..smaller one with the Raptor “ish” shaped handle is mystery wood and the other is Dogwood with a Birch ply spacer and spalted apple butt cap.

Darrell Allen

** SlingLyfe Band Up **
That second looks like it’s going to light up with the finish. Looks like a nice grain.

·
Registered
433 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts