Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

Registered
Love me some slingshots.
Beauty Jon !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Darrell Allen

** SlingLyfe Band Up **
Thanks D. Messed the other side up when doing the pins and couldnt seem to get the dark spots off the wood so I said screw it and just sealed it. I didn't want to keep taking more and more off of the frame lol.

Registered
Love me some slingshots.
Well my jobs are close to home today so I have a little free time in-between so you know what that means! I also said screw it again and took the pfs 58 back to the sander. I couldn't stand the way the wood turned out so try number 2. I also have another set of scales curing for a future aardvark and I got that aluminum core cut for that cedar frame! Busy weekend ahead 鈽
Shoe Motor vehicle Textile Hood Font
Gas Tool Engineering Wood Machine
Wood Motor vehicle Engineering Plastic bottle Font

Registered
Love me some slingshots.
Beautiful. Amazing work.
Tried that buffing and finishing up with a paste wax on the Stubby Whale. Pretty happy with the look. Just have to band it up now and see how it works........
Thanks for posting and explaining. Helps tremendously!
I just started using a wax recently and I'm really liking it so far.

Registered
Love me some slingshots.
That looks fantastic! I love a glassy finish, but sometimes a more 鈥渘atural鈥 look is nice. I love the paste wax, and when It starts to look a little dull just buff it again ot add a little more wax than buff.
So for this buffing process? I'm new to wax finishes. Do you apply the wax to the pad before buffing or just buff what you already rubbed on the frame?
after a half dozen attempts to edit :pi'm starting over
Holy! That's crazy your epoxy sets that quick. It's always humid here so it take epoxy a bit longer. I always turn the heater on in the barn and leave it over night at about 84掳. But unfortunately your photos are not showing up!

Registered
Love me some slingshots.
I do 2 coats of blo or tung oil, let it dry over night and then rub in a coat of past wax, let it dry for a few min then buff it with a slow buffing wheel/pad or buff by hand with a rag.
Right on I wasn't too far off on that process! The wax I use is a combination of beeswax tung oil and carnauba wax.

Registered
Love me some slingshots.
I have put 3 coats of beeswax sunk in with a hairdryer followed by 30 light coats of wax on a natural that was sanded down to 600 grit. It feels like antler or bone.
Very cool! I need to try some heat when applying next time. Also here lately I'm seeing things about not needing to go past a certain grit when sanding. Do you know anything about this?

Registered
Love me some slingshots.
Good job馃憤馃憤
In the last photo, what type of glue or epoxy do you use to paste the wood and the aluminum?
Thanks! So I have been using jb weld 5 min epoxy. But I recently found some epoxy in some random isle at Menards that is 1 minute epoxy! It sets really fast but I like it. It seems to hold better right off the get go! I'll post more on it tomorrow I'm in the house for the night.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts