Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you see the band allready started or a shot away from starting to tear at the pouch?

1.Do you keep shooting it until it breaks?

2.Do you change the bands right away?

3.Other (tell us )

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
7,043 Posts
Hi Brooklyn,
well, have eye protection first. Then what I usually do is keep shooting until I notice a change in accuracy. That happens when the band is cut almost halfway through. I have shot bands that were tore even more and still she fired in the same pattern. It never ceases to amaze me. NOTE: I only do this myself and don't recommend it. This is my procedure with tears near the pouch-and if the band is tore anywhere up front- DO NOT CONTINUE!!! Flatband

·
"500+fps Speed demon"
668 Posts
Change immediately!!!, i make 3 sets of identical bandsets up for a few hours bashing tins, so the old bandset can be changed fast. Pouch can be reused as mine are extremely durable, and rubber can be cut into strips for tying bands on in future!! win win

·
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
1,414 Posts
When you see the band allready started or a shot away from starting to tear at the pouch?

1.Do you keep shooting it until it breaks?

2.Do you change the bands right away?

3.Other (tell us )

Cheers
With any sign of tearing I replace them instantly mate, there's no point in potentially loosing an eye for the sake of ~ $5.00...

PS: Make sure you have glasses on!

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Hi Brooklyn,
well, have eye protection first. Then what I usually do is keep shooting until I notice a change in accuracy. That happens when the band is cut almost halfway through. I have shot bands that were tore even more and still she fired in the same pattern. It never ceases to amaze me. NOTE: I only do this myself and don't recommend it. This is my procedure with tears near the pouch-and if the band is tore anywhere up front- DO NOT CONTINUE!!! Flatband

·
Premium Member
7,905 Posts
I usually don't notice until I start to lose accuracy. I've never been much of a pre-inspection guy.
Once you lose accuracy there's not much point to continue shooting those bands, so I change them.

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
While I agree that a tear at the front is worse than a tear at the pouch, regardless of the damage being at the front or rear, change flatbands at the first sign of wear, be it chaffing, perishing, but espcially tearing.

Flatbands are partticularly susceptible to tearing compared to chains or tubes, as rips tend to propagate under tension.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I notice a tear at the pouch I take my roller cutter and cut that part out at a longer part.

I do not notice differents in accuracy But sometimes both side just tears at the same time this makes it easy and i trim them both or evern all 4 bands as with my last set.

If a band tears it usualy rips through in 50 shots depending on the % of elongation of the bands
With this method It last for me much more , even 200 shots more.

If it tears at the fork you need to change it right away as it is dangerous to use. When it breaks it will hit your eye out or slap your face.

This method works for me .If you like it you try it !

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,638 Posts
Ok.... I'll confess.... I do all of the above depending on my mood.

Wow that feels better getting that out in the open!!!

However, as a vendor.....I recommend changing them at the first sign of ANY nick or abrasion!!!! It's just safer that way!!!!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i cut the band and re tie the pouch on. band is a bit shorter and wont last all that long but i get a bit more life from it this way.
I retie them as well, but only after I allready trimed them and they broke. This is the best solution for budget bands. No way you can make cheaper bandsets .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.