Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Cogito Ergo Armatum Sum
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so what DO you want in a custom knife? I'm talking about a truly bespoke blade, made to your specifications, for you and only for you, to do exactly what you want to do with it, and do it better than any other knife in the world.

That's a tall order, and to be happy with what you get when you are paying for it, you MUST know the answers to some very specific questions. Having been on both sides of the counter on that exact deal many times, I'm going to give some example questions, and the answers you need to be able to supply. There are many forks in the road to YOUR perfect knife (at the moment).

"Hi, welcome to Bob's Blades, how can I help you?"

"I'd like a cheesburger with mayo and onions, hold the pickles, large fries and a pepsi!"

"that's next door, asshole!!"

"ok, nevermind that, I'm in the market for a custom knife"

"great, here's a custom knife I made for some jerkoff last month who never came back and paid for the rest of it"

"no, no, I want one custom made for ME!"

"oh, well then, pull up a chair, this is going to take a little time. Care for a shot of bourbon? You want some pepsi to go along with that? Takes the burn down a notch or two. Ok, let's talk blades then. What are you looking for?"

At this point you have some decisions to make. The single most important one is "What do I want to do with a new knife once I get it."

Do you want to put it on a shelf and look at it? If so, not much matters except how it looks, you can buy one off the internet. Oh, you actually want do do something with it? Well, then, we might need to figure out what, before we actually start making it then. Do you want to carry it in a pocket, or wear it on your belt? If you want a folding knife, that's usually a more expensive item than a sheath knife, if you want a truly handmade one. More equipment needed to be able to machine the joints to work smoothly, and springs to have the correct tension.

Lets assume you are looking for a fixed blade knife, as that's what most people think of when you say "custom knife" If you have a basic concept of what you want to do with it, that will mostly set the size and shape. A knife you want to chop firewood and build shelters with, is going to be different from one that you plan to whittle slingshots and clean the occasional dove or pigeon with. So, large or small, slender or wide, pointy or curved, those questions are mostly in the bag if you know what you plan to do with it. How it feels in the hand is important too. Does the weight concentrate in the blade, for chopping, or back in the hand, for control when making small cuts? do you need to be able to hold it up closer to the tip, as well as by the handle?

Then the fun part. What do you want it made out of? Stainless steel, Carbon Steel, Pattern welded steel? Guards, or bolsters? pommel or lanyard hole? Wood, antler, or synthetic? Plain or Fancy. One piece or laminated?

All these things come into play when ordering a truly custom knife. Knowing the answers up front can save lots of frustration, and heartburn (not to mention money).

· Premium Member
481 Posts
how a noob (myself) look for a bling knife and act like know it all

1) go ebay, search custom knife
2) highest price first
3) feel like a peasant and go to page 4
4) spot affordable model with some cool features that don't do anything
5) youtube reviews
6) google for lowest price
7) win

· Premium Member
1,741 Posts
Ok, so what DO you want in a custom knife? I'm talking about a truly bespoke blade, made to your specifications, for you and only for you, to do exactly what you want to do with it, and do it better than any other knife in the world.

That's a tall order, and to be happy with what you get when you are paying for it, you MUST know the answers to some very specific questions. Having been on both sides of the counter on that exact deal many times, I'm going to give some example questions, and the answers you need to be able to supply. There are many forks in the road to YOUR perfect knife (at the moment).

"I'd like a cheesburger with mayo and onions, hold the pickles, large fries and a pepsi!"

"great, here's a custom knife I made for some jerkoff last month who never came back and paid for the rest of it"

"oh, well then, pull up a chair, this is going to take a little time. Care for a shot of bourbon? You want some pepsi to go along with that? Takes the burn down a notch or two. Ok, let's talk blades then. What are you looking for?"

At this point you have some decisions to make. The single most important one is "What do I want to do with a new knife once I get it."

Do you want to put it on a shelf and look at it? If so, not much matters except how it looks, you can buy one off the internet. Oh, you actually want do do something with it? Well, then, we might need to figure out what, before we actually start making it then. Do you want to carry it in a pocket, or wear it on your belt? If you want a folding knife, that's usually a more expensive item than a sheath knife, if you want a truly handmade one. More equipment needed to be able to machine the joints to work smoothly, and springs to have the correct tension.

Lets assume you are looking for a fixed blade knife, as that's what most people think of when you say "custom knife" If you have a basic concept of what you want to do with it, that will mostly set the size and shape. A knife you want to chop firewood and build shelters with, is going to be different from one that you plan to whittle slingshots and clean the occasional dove or pigeon with. So, large or small, slender or wide, pointy or curved, those questions are mostly in the bag if you know what you plan to do with it. How it feels in the hand is important too. Does the weight concentrate in the blade, for chopping, or back in the hand, for control when making small cuts? do you need to be able to hold it up closer to the tip, as well as by the handle?

Then the fun part. What do you want it made out of? Stainless steel, Carbon Steel, Pattern welded steel? Guards, or bolsters? pommel or lanyard hole? Wood, antler, or synthetic? Plain or Fancy. One piece or laminated?

All these things come into play when ordering a truly custom knife. Knowing the answers up front can save lots of frustration, and heartburn (not to mention money).
James your posts are so cool to read

· Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
10,979 Posts
Ergonomics and good steel.
The steel doesn't have to be carbon because they have bic lighters now for firestarting and they are cheap and easy to carry, one in each pocket and four or five in the backpack if you are insecure.

· Premium Member
4,128 Posts

James, that's cool and fun to read. Thanks. I'm showing you a kind of knife, but if you have something already made, please show me. Thanks. Bob

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.