Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've read many posts telling how a slingshot helped feed a family during the time of the Great Depression. Being only 24, my parents hadn't been born yet and I was only a distant whisper among possibilities. Now that I have seriously decided to make a slingshot, I wonder what history came before me and my (still incomplete) slingshot. It dawned on me that it is important (at least for me) to know what having and using that slingshot meant to those who used them back in that era of history.

Perhaps I am reading too deep into something that really is as simple as a piece of wood and a rubber band. The feeling that there is some greater meaning imbued into this simple device lingers though.

Are there any here that remember this era with slingshot in hand? I would like to hear your stories. I have a persistent feeling that what I hold in my hand is more than a mere collection of wood and rubber. Thank you for your time.

·
Super Moderator
10,991 Posts
Even I came after the great depression. I used a slingshot for hunting as a boy when I was not allowed the use of a firearm. A slingshot is so much less effective than a rifle or a shotgun, so as soon as I was allowed to use a firearm, that is what I used for hunting. The same is true of everyone I personally know.

Also, in survival situations, trapping or snaring is often much more effective than hunting. It is a trade-off between time and space. When you hunt, generally you cover a large area but only for a small amount of time in any location. By contrast, a trap or snare covers a very small area for a very long time. Also, as a hunter, one must work hard not to disturb the game, whereas a well laid trap or snare will not disturb the game. So if you have a good idea of areas your quarry frequents, a trap or snare is a better use of your energy and resources.

I still plinked around with slingshots, and as I related elsewhere, I used a sling shot to help herd cattle. Slingshots were very useful in the city for eliminating small pests from the garden. I also used them to send yowling cats and stray dogs on their way when awakened in the middle of the night.

Slingshots make a decent poaching weapon in situations where a firearm is not permitted. Slingshots can be effective game collectors in the right hands. They are very light, easily concealed, and can use stones for ammo ... stones are available everywhere. I suspect the poaching aspect is part of what motivates restrictions on slingshots. But in their favor as a hunting weapon, they are much less likely to cause a serious injury in case someone is accidently shot with one ... unlike being shot with a firearm.

Cheers ..... Charles

·
Prince of Paraprosdokians and Epistemophilia
2,565 Posts
It all started with a displaced tribe member named "Thang" The tribe had kicked him out because of his excessive flatulence, but they just kicked him out without telling him the reason, because at that time there weren't any gastroenterologists to treat him anyway. They didn't even know the word "gastroenterologists" because they had no language.

So Thang took to the woods and pondered why the tribe kicked him out. Why he was chosen? Why not someone else?
Why at this time? And many other "whys?". When he found that he was starting to lose his mind, he decided to start a language by learning what the woods would teach him. He found in the forest trees which had limbs and branches of many shapes, and so he used these natural twists and curves to create a language. First, he found an "A". And then a "B". And then a "C". And after two months of looking in the trees for answers, he finally discovered "Y".

And now you know, the rest of the story.

·
Prince of Paraprosdokians and Epistemophilia
2,565 Posts
A waitress from work told me that way up north they use slingshots to shoot rocks at polar bears to keep them from attacking or getting too close.
Yes, but you don't want the waitress to serve you Polar bear liver because it's so rich in Vitamin A that it could kill you. Better off with Yak stew.

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,647 Posts
There is indeed a "mystique" (sp?) about them. I'm still to young, but the feeling and stories were handed down to me from my Father an his brothers from the times they survived because of them during the Great Depression years. It really had an effect on me growing up. I think I've written a few times about it and them on here somewhere in the last couple years.

·
Registered
17 Posts
A waitress from work told me that way up north they use slingshots to shoot rocks at polar bears to keep them from attacking or getting too close.
Growing up in Alaska, I can tell you this doesn't really work, especially in Winter where it can drop to -80F during the day. I personally have seen 112F all the way to -125F counting the windchill. Now I can see maybe using something in the summer months don't get me wrong, the only problem I see is that a bear's hide is very thick and then you have the fat layer and the heavy fur coat. Still, it could be possible if your aim is good and you can say hit the nose.

·
Resigned
1,825 Posts
Growing up in Alaska, I can tell you this doesn't really work, especially in Winter where it can drop to -80F during the day. I personally have seen 112F all the way to -125F counting the windchill. Now I can see maybe using something in the summer months don't get me wrong, the only problem I see is that a bear's hide is very thick and then you have the fat layer and the heavy fur coat. Still, it could be possible if your aim is good and you can say hit the nose.
[/quote]
oh, weird. i imagined that she meant that they just shot rocks near them to scare them away.. she said something about taking tours up there for school. she is going for 3 years, so maybe she meant in the summer times.. honestly, the conversations wasn't very long, so I had to fill in the gaps myself lol. I trust you know what you are talking about.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts