Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Singing along with the voices in my head
442 Posts
There are supposedly rules to this, but I go with the generality that if the ammo needs to be shot over the forks, it's a PFS. A little wider fork gap, then you get into gapper territory. But the line between gappers and PFS blurs a bit.

The opinions are mainly on width of fork gap. You can make it as deep as you want :)

The gap on the OPFS template is 0.5", so there's a good starting place. Just wide enough to be able to wrap and tuck :)

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
There are supposedly rules to this, but I go with the generality that if the ammo needs to be shot over the forks, it's a PFS. A little wider fork gap, then you get into gapper territory. But the line between gappers and PFS blurs a bit.

The opinions are mainly on width of fork gap. You can make it as deep as you want :)

The gap on the OPFS template is 0.5", so there's a good starting place. Just wide enough to be able to wrap and tuck :)
Many thanks, that makes it a lot easier. Been looking at the 3 Amigos template I tried first attempt and have been thinking of just reducing the gap by a huge margin. That template with a 1/2" gap should be really fun to shoot and keep me in known territory.

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
Think Crazy Canuck nailed it. The gap is for the ties, nothing more. I went crazy for the OPFS. Fantastic design. It's a painful learning curve, but very addictive.
I have a Wasp / Beastcoast one at the moment, and yep a few finger and fork hits along the way soon taught me to pay attention to form lol Really love PFS and decided time for a new one, many thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only PFS competition I know about listed a gap of 1/2 inch and an overall width of 2-1/2 inches - the same as the OPFS dimensions.
But if you're building something for your own enjoyment, you are in the drivers seat. Build it your way and call it what you want!
Thank you, interesting info. I will get around to copying the original spec sometime. But this is purely for fun, so will I'll modify The 3 Amigos template for PFS.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
The only PFS competition I know about listed a gap of 1/2 inch and an overall width of 2-1/2 inches - the same as the OPFS dimensions.

But if you're building something for your own enjoyment, you are in the drivers seat. Build it your way and call it what you want!
I think KawKan nailed it, build what shoots good for you and call it a PFS.

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
Like many things in life, the term "PFS", for Pickle Fork Shooter, has morphed to mean whatever the owner or builder wants it to mean. Interestingly, the original PFS bears no resemblance to a pickle fork.

real-pickle-forks.jpg
Good point, excuse the pun lol In my ignorance I assumed (always bad) the original pickle fork was like the picture with two prongs. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think KawKan nailed it, build what shoots good for you and call it a PFS.
I agree and thank you. I will make it as I pickup some new coping saw blades.

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
Here is one eBayer's version of a Pcikle Fork Slingshot.

pickle-fork.jpg
It's definitely a nice catty and looks fun to shoot, I can see where maybe something was lost in translation there lol There again it looks closer to the original pickle forks ????

1 - 16 of 16 Posts