Slingshots Forum banner

What got YOU into slingshots?

3K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  hoggs 
#1 ·
Out of curiosity how did you guys find interest in slingshots? Like your first exposure to it and what made you want to collect or make them?

For me it was honestly Bart Simpson, and later on Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time. I freaking loved using it in the games and I wanted to bring that cool factor into reality.

Give me your origin stories!

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
When I was seven years old, grandpa took me into the yard and said "now be quiet and watch this" . . . He pointed out a gopher poking his head out of the ground a few yards away. Then he pulled out his slingshot and BAM! . . . shot that gopher right in the head! I've been hooked on slingshots ever since.

And now, at 63 years old, I enjoy them more than ever! :)

#3 ·
When I was seven years old, grandpa took me into the yard and said "now be quiet and watch this" . . . He pointed out a gopher poking his head out of the ground a few yards away. Then he pulled out his slingshot and BAM! . . . shot that gopher right in the head! I've been hooked on slingshots ever since.

Did you eat the Gopher?

#7 ·
I was given a Saunders Wing and trap box for the past holidays. Now I'm about six 3D printed frames and three purchased frames into slingshotting and I am looking at cutting and tying my own bandsets. I used to shoot a home made slingshot I made from a branch of the apple tree in my parent's back yard back when I was maybe 9-10 years old. I got into target archery soon after and did not return to slingshots till now. I love that this is relatively inexpensive, yet still allows great creativity and the ability to tinker and experiment. I enjoy 3D printing so this is a very fun outlet for me to play around with.

#14 ·
When I was a youngster I had a tree fork slingshot with inner tube bands. Later I bought a Wham-O. That's about all I remember about my early interest in slingshots but, when I was about 75 years old I was looking at You Tube videos when, like Dross80, I ran across Rufus Hussey and was hooked. A little exploring on the internet and I was surprised to find that there were others who were not only interested in slingshots but have taken the art to a whole new level.

GP

#15 ·

Did you eat the Gopher?
LOL . . . No, grandma and grandpa weren't to keen on having 'gopher' for dinner.

#17 ·
I always had a Daisy or Marksman wire framed sling with the wrist brace as a kid, but the main thing that got me hooked again was Zachary Fowler as well as this forum and the fact I LOVE working with different species of wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love wood working too, honestly my favorite part of this whole things is the being in nature and working with the various branch species

#18 ·
I wanted to get into archery but didn't have the place for and didn't want to pay for range time googled for an alternative ordered a dankung from Amazon hated it came across simpleshot have the hobby a second chance with a different frame and became hooked. Been shooting for 2 years now

#19 ·

Did you eat the Gopher?
LOL . . . No, grandma and grandpa weren't to keen on having 'gopher' for dinner.
So you guys just axed a Gopher for the hell of it? Damn man that could have been a small stirfy!

#20 ·
Top Shot... the show on History Channel. I wanted to be on it, and didn't know how to shoot a slingshot.... Watched videos from Bing and Tex, learned the basics... added a little of my own knowledge.... Helped in starting the next generation of shooters interested in slingshots and their accuracy potential with videos on youtube... then continued with my own slingshot business

#21 ·
I had an aluminium sling with solid square bands when I was about 8 or 9 (don't know what happened to it, now wish I still had it) then a wrist braces sling when I was about 15 while I was saving up for an air rifle. Once I had the air rifle I lost all interest in slings.

After a break of about 30 years I was travelling round South East Asia and in a market in northern Laos close to the Chinese boarder came across slingshots. Lots of weird things. Without knowing anything about slings I wasn't just going to buy some contraption with 6 tubes and spring assistance so I googled it.

I then came across Bill Hays's video's and that was it. I wanted one.
I didn't buy one there as We were doing lots of travelling and didn't want to be carrying one over borders and on and off planes but as soon as I got home I bought one.

#22 ·
Hello All,

Off and on I have been messing about with Slingshots , Catties , Flips , (these instruments have LOTS of names) since I was about 7 years old and I have never lost my fascination with them.

I grew up on a farm loooong before the internet and Slingshots had to be home-made with bands cut from car or truck inner tubes , there were absolutely NO commercial Slingshots available then , the red inner tubes were the best.

Every small boy and some girls had Catties.

Cheers.

#23 ·
Doctors suggested I get into target shooting to assist in recovering from balance and hand-eye coordination problems after a stroke. But in my neighborhood, small arms aren't very practical, or even legal to shoot. After experimenting with some Chinese tube offerings, I found the simpleshot.com and pocketpredator,com websites, and fell head-first down the rabbit hole.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.