Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
As an old designer/engineer, we always said that a design in not a design until all the work is done. First there has to be an idea of what product result application that you want. Then there has to be a pictorial concept (this might just be in your head). Then the must be working parameters of the design. Then there must consideration of materials to be used and how to mold or machine them. There must be a structural analyst of the idea. Then the must be an ergonomic evaluation of the idea. Then there must be one or more prototypes to prove the Idea. When the final prototype is completed, then you must redo several of the steps above again. Now if it works like it should you have a designed product! The truth of the matter is there is no positive number or order of steps to any design. It is a process that has a life of its own as you work through it. My point is a sketch or a drawing is not a design and there are many products on the market that have not been tested and therefore don't perform as they should. There is another way to design and that is by trial and error testing of products, but be carful this can be a danger to ones health. Before using this design technique, One should read Richard Middleton's book "The Practical Guide to Man Powered Bullets" -- Tex

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,991 Posts
Tex, thanks for pointing others to this book. I bought a copy several years ago, and it is a great read with tons of useful information.

Cheers ....... Charles

·
Premium Member
2,005 Posts
Tex you are so right. You can see in the picture the process that led me to the Recurve Hunter. You can start with a pencil and paper but you have to make sawdust to see how it feels. After you get each one done and you shoot it you think not to bad then after the new wears off you discover the warts. I guess that is why it's so fun.
Roger

Attachments

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
****, I didn't know it was that complicated. . . ashamed to say that all I am doing is stumbling around in a blind pool of ignorance. (probably cuz I'm pretty ignorant, huh?)

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
****, I didn't know it was that complicated. . . ashamed to say that all I am doing is stumbling around in a blind pool of ignorance. (probably cuz I'm pretty ignorant, huh?)
But you cut all your stuff out and try it before you throw it out there for us, I think that's mostly what Tex is saying.

·
Premium Member
4,030 Posts
I agree Tex. One should always test out their concepts before introducing them as a new design. If it were as simple as drawing them out and saying "here's a new one for you Guys to do"... I probably could have introduced over 1000 by now.

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
I agree Tex. One should always test out their concepts before introducing them as a new design. If it were as simple as drawing them out and saying "here's a new one for you Guys to do"... I probably could have introduced over 1000 by now.
Yeah, me too. I wouldn't think of posting a design I hadn't made. I'm glad you never saw some of the ones I have tossed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.