Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
6,402 Posts
Can you narrow it down a bit ?

A general purpose knife for light duty or something you can hammer on to split logs for a fire ?

What's your definition of 'Expensive' ?

I think the Cold Steel Pocket Bushman is a great no frills folder that retails for about $30 and can take a beating.

I prefer a fixed blade knife for heavy work though. Perhaps something like the Ontario SP50 if you want a BIG fixed blade knife that's at home chopping up timber and fighting off black bears.

·
500 Club
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll try to narrow it down....

I'm looking for something that is durable and can take a little beating, something that can be used to chop small "logs" and cut rope etc. I'm only looking to spend around £30/$47

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
The best knife that I ever carried was a custom made one. Right now my favorite manufactured knife is a medium sized Iisakki Scout Hunting Knife with a 4 5/8 inch blade. I Recently bought a very nice used that that famous on line auction for $15. -- Tex

Reactions: Lug

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
I recently picked this up for a EDC. It's been in my pocket since I picked it up. The opening mechanism was pretty stiff for a week but through use its loosed up. By the sound of it you are looking for something a bit larger and if you want to cut wood with, this would be a bit out of your price range but one I've been eyeballing for the same purposes.

http://stores.thepathfinderschoolllc.com/-strse-396/The-Pathfinder-Trade-Knife/Detail.bok

·
Super Moderator
6,671 Posts
My favorite is an old re-worked ( by Muskrat Man Knives-Some of the old time guys might know him as Catapult Kid ) Buck 110. It has a shortened clip point blade,with Osage Orange scales and brass pins. Knife was a wreck when he found it. I have to get a pic up of it. Guy does awesome blade work! Flatband

·
Wow! Yew make a nice bow.
280 Posts
I really like the Benchmade Griptillians, pretty inexpensive, AXIS lock which is a breeze to close, and buttery smooth opening. As far as more expensive folders (non-balisong) I REALLY loved my Benchmade Skirmish. That thing was I believe 11 or so inches long open so it was a beast. My current EDC is a Spyderco Tenacious G10....you can pick one up for less than 30 bucks and the thing is a quality knife. Super sharp, but uses the chinese steel "8Cr13MoV"

·
Premium Member
3,686 Posts
Benchmade 710, in my hip pocket everywhere I go. SAR on the belt ditto.

·
TeamPFS
948 Posts
My collection is modest, but the cheap Mora is perfect for me for anything that has to do with wood carving...
Are there any folders that have a scandi grind, or are just nice with carving?
I looked around the net the other night, and it didnt look too promising.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.