Slingshots Forum banner

What is your portable catchbox?

6K views 49 replies 23 participants last post by  Chicxulub 
#1 ·
I need some ideas for a catch box that I can bring with me on trips that is easy to carry and light weight.

#2 ·
I have been using a Job Bag. its one of those bags that comes with a drill/impact set. Mine is Milwaukee but any brand will do. It has a zipper down the middle and a metal rim which keeps it open. Used a strand of paracord to hold up a T-shirt and bent a metal wire around the zipper pull to hang a can off of. I'll look for a picture and pot if I have one, if not I'll take one later and post.

#3 ·
I use canvas laundry basket kind of like the one in the photo. Placed on its side it works well. It folds/squashes flat and can be modified to hang a target and cloth to stop bounce out. If you remove 1 handle and reattach it to the bottom end level with the other handle you can then hang the bag by both handles from a branch. I fitted mine with a 1cm diameter rope around the circular entrance to stop any balls from rolling out. The circular shape means all the balls collect nicely.

#4 ·
The ideas above are awesome. Somebody also recently posted about a folding "arbor" (?) box that they turned into a neat catch box. I looked quickly but couldn't find the thread. Several mfg's also sell portable folding catch boxes but I haven't tried any of these.

For the ultimate in portability, I often carry a small canvas sheet and a rope in my backpack. Any fence I find to hang the sheet over, any trees or branches I can run a line between to hang the sheet over, etc. becomes and instant "catch". Although it doesn't actually "catch" the ammo, it does stop it and drop it on the ground in front of the sheet. Not as nice as a catch box but when small and portable is key, like when I go backpacking, this does a good job.

#10 ·
#12 ·
I use a foldable arbor bag and it works awesome. I have no complaints. Been using it for a year now. Here's my video. Hope it helps.

There's the folding arbor box I mentioned! Apologies- I couldn't find the post or remember who put it up, but really glad you added it here. I really like this version of a portable catch.

#22 · (Edited)
It’s a bit unfortunate but I haven’t seen anything marketed as a portable catchbox that’s worth a darn. The one I bought most recently from a big name company is literally falling apart at the seams. Looks like the way to go is homemade. I think I’ll go for the arbor box C5 uses next. It looks pretty rugged and I like that it folds up into a triangle. Just needs a ratty old Megadeth T-shirt sewn in. Although I have to say when you’re in a pinch, Amazon boxes work wonders 😂. 5 gallon bucket’s looking pretty good too.

#25 ·
A little bit off topic but I was having issues when using a big water drum/bucket for a catch box at home. I lost so many balls and i still don't really have any idea why. I was hitting the target and didn't notice many bounce outs. I tried a few different designs and none worked. I switched for a old car, drilled a few holes for a rope to hang a few t-shirts at the back and a target. I haven't had any issues since. And I still don't have any ideas why😀. The circular shape means all the ammo runs to the bottom to be collected easily. GZK posted something similar on youtube

It may be a bit heavy for a portable catch box but it works well and is indestructible.

#35 ·
I put all of my Targets near the very front of the catchbox and in some cases like the white 30 gallon container shown in the picture above the 30 mm spinner is a few inches in front of the opening in the catch box. I'm not sure it matters how far away the fabric is behind each Target, I always just go with two to three layers and that seems to slow it down without it bouncing too much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.