Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!

I have seen pictures of your slingshots where there is a beautiful satin finish. What do you use?
Looking forward to your anwers.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I like to use a combination of BLO and/or a wiping varnish (usually Minwax Antique Oil Finish) and some finishing wax for maintenance. Having said that, I think the satin look can be achieved using just about any medium. If using a surface build-up type of finish (poly/varnish), it's about surface prep, making sure pores are filled and flattening the surface for a consistent evenness. If using a gloss finish then it just needs to be knocked down to satin with some 0000 steel wool.

If using a penetrating oil finish, its about good surface preparation to get the result. We each have our favorite finishes but I think it is more about the method that achieves the outcome...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like to use a combination of BLO and/or a wiping varnish (usually Minwax Antique Oil Finish) and some finishing wax for maintenance. Having said that, I think the satin look can be achieved using just about any medium. If using a surface build-up type of finish (poly/varnish), it's about surface prep, making sure pores are filled and flattening the surface for a consistent evenness. If using a gloss finish then it just needs to be knocked down to satin with some 0000 steel wool.

If using a penetrating oil finish, its about good surface preparation to get the result. We each have our favorite finishes but I think it is more about the method that achieves the outcome...
Interesting what you say about creating s good surface. When I make other wooden objects, like jewlery for example, I always burnish the object and then I apply my own mix of bees wax and linseed oil. It gives it a slight half matte shine but I imagine myself that it wears off after a while and becomes more "dull".

·
Registered
1,273 Posts

Interesting what you say about creating s good surface. When I make other wooden objects, like jewlery for example, I always burnish the object and then I apply my own mix of bees wax and linseed oil. It gives it a slight half matte shine but I imagine myself that it wears off after a while and becomes more "dull".
Yup... I think taking it to the point of burnishing is good!

If you are using only oil and wax, it doesn't give much protection to the surface, so it will wear or dull and patina naturally and that's not a bad thing. It is in its own way an organic beauty to bear the signs of wear unique to its owner...

If you want a surface that holds up to wear you'll need something that builds up a film on top of the wood. Some would however prefer not to do this as they might like the natural textured feel of wood more. No right or wrong... I think it comes down to personal preference. For me, I like nattys with just oil and wax but everything else like board cuts or cored builds, I'd prefer with a film build finish.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts