Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This comes to mind in relation to the thread about, "Do you have problems with other people understanding your hobby?".

Since adults playing with slingshots is considered by so many to be a somewhat "odd" phenomenon, I was wondering what other "odd" hobbies our fellows here on the forum are into (or have been in the past).
For me: I like to read science fiction, and once spent about 5 years obsessively trying to write it.
I like to carve wooden spoons (considered a real time-waster by most of my acquaintances).
I will choose a hand tool over a power tool almost every time when I'm making something, because ... I dunno:blush:
One of my nicknames is "knothead" because I like tying knots and learning new ones (to the point where I completely bore everyone around me).
Must admit I don't find any of these things to be "odd," but others do.
Do you do anything odd, besides play with slingshots?

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Collect swords and other medieval weapons, read and watch SciFi and fantasy, write on occasion, that's pretty much it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I will choose a hand tool over a power tool almost every time when I'm making something, because ... I dunno:blush:
One of my nicknames is "knothead" because I like tying knots and learning new ones (to the point where I completely bore everyone around me).
Must admit I don't find any of these things to be "odd," but others do.
Do you do anything odd, besides play with slingshots?
I also like useing handtools. I like the simplicity of them.

I think some people have found me odd because I like the simple things in life. I keep a little stock, goats and chickens, grow most of our food. I dont like TV and I spend a great deal of time roaming the woods and fields, along rivers, streams. I like being outside. I like observing wildlife that never knows Im there. To some thats odd behavior.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I make fixed blade knives and also fish and hunt a little. Snody knives made some slingshots out of g11 material and re kindled my love for the old slingshot. I have made one which is still a work in progress. As far as knives go I think I have made around 40 so far. Still new but learn something new everyday.

·
11,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I make fixed blade knives and also fish and hunt a little. Snody knives made some slingshots out of g11 material and re kindled my love for the old slingshot. I have made one which is still a work in progress. As far as knives go I think I have made around 40 so far. Still new but learn something new everyday.
Panch0, does anyone think your knife-making is odd? That's one thing I do that all my friends think is cool (except the females, that is).

·
Registered
237 Posts
As said on the other thread, "Slingshots, role playing games, the SCA, miniature wargames (that was a very short dabble), the banjo, and a number of other unrelated interests that have come along, some of which are still around and others of which have gone their merry way out again."
Add to that computer games and hanging around online.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Panch0, does anyone think your knife-making is odd? That's one thing I do that all my friends think is cool (except the females, that is).
[/quote]

Actually quite a few folks especially the younger females say things like"Why do like making dangerous things etc... Once they see the slingshots they will think I have lost it. Most folk are surprised and say things like how did you ever get into that? Guys at work think it cool as heck and almost all have bought a hunting knife from me. Some of them were kind of inspired and started hobbies as well.

·
Banned
1,015 Posts
I like to fish trying a Little jig tieing this year I do a some glass engraving and sand etching building odd things around the house making my own slingshots and hanging out with my animals.

·
Super Moderator
6,513 Posts
Other hobbies?- let's see:

Bass Fishing ( freshwater)- lures only- catch and release
Surf Fishing-all baits
Metal Detecting
Mountain Biking
Auto Detailing
Canoeing
Hiking-nature walks

Flatband

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
My number one hobby is making the next birthday. Here are pictures of me at 23 and 74. I am posting this for the one that said that I look a little older in my videos. Well it just so happens I am. Tex

Attachments

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I don't know Tex you look pretty much the same to me....

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hunt, fish, play my guitar and harmonica and torture the fiddle.

·
Banned
22 Posts
i am pretty much into anything that shoots other things, firearms, air rifles, archery, both traditional and modern. i hunt, fish, trap. camping and all around bushcraft. i generally just spend a whole lot of time in the woods. oh yeah i bike just about everywhere, buts that is more of a lifestyle choice for me than a hobby, but i still do it for fun, its just one more thing that gets me out in the woods.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Here is the latest knife I've made. It isn't as fancy a Snody's but I think it will work well for the new owner.

Here are some specs
/32 ATS34
59-61 Rc by Peters HT
Burgundy Micarta scales
OAL 8 6/8"
Blade 3 3/4"

·
11,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I call that a nice knife. Indeed.

·