Slingshots Forum banner

What other hobbies do you have?

6K views 41 replies 21 participants last post by  dgui 
#1 ·
This comes to mind in relation to the thread about, "Do you have problems with other people understanding your hobby?".

Since adults playing with slingshots is considered by so many to be a somewhat "odd" phenomenon, I was wondering what other "odd" hobbies our fellows here on the forum are into (or have been in the past).
For me: I like to read science fiction, and once spent about 5 years obsessively trying to write it.
I like to carve wooden spoons (considered a real time-waster by most of my acquaintances).
I will choose a hand tool over a power tool almost every time when I'm making something, because ... I dunno:blush:
One of my nicknames is "knothead" because I like tying knots and learning new ones (to the point where I completely bore everyone around me).
Must admit I don't find any of these things to be "odd," but others do.
Do you do anything odd, besides play with slingshots?

#2 ·
Collect swords and other medieval weapons, read and watch SciFi and fantasy, write on occasion, that's pretty much it.

#3 ·
I will choose a hand tool over a power tool almost every time when I'm making something, because ... I dunno:blush:
One of my nicknames is "knothead" because I like tying knots and learning new ones (to the point where I completely bore everyone around me).
Must admit I don't find any of these things to be "odd," but others do.
Do you do anything odd, besides play with slingshots?
I also like useing handtools. I like the simplicity of them.

I think some people have found me odd because I like the simple things in life. I keep a little stock, goats and chickens, grow most of our food. I dont like TV and I spend a great deal of time roaming the woods and fields, along rivers, streams. I like being outside. I like observing wildlife that never knows Im there. To some thats odd behavior.

#5 ·
I make fixed blade knives and also fish and hunt a little. Snody knives made some slingshots out of g11 material and re kindled my love for the old slingshot. I have made one which is still a work in progress. As far as knives go I think I have made around 40 so far. Still new but learn something new everyday.

#8 ·
Panch0, does anyone think your knife-making is odd? That's one thing I do that all my friends think is cool (except the females, that is).
[/quote]

Actually quite a few folks especially the younger females say things like"Why do like making dangerous things etc... Once they see the slingshots they will think I have lost it. Most folk are surprised and say things like how did you ever get into that? Guys at work think it cool as heck and almost all have bought a hunting knife from me. Some of them were kind of inspired and started hobbies as well.

#7 ·
As said on the other thread, "Slingshots, role playing games, the SCA, miniature wargames (that was a very short dabble), the banjo, and a number of other unrelated interests that have come along, some of which are still around and others of which have gone their merry way out again."
Add to that computer games and hanging around online.

#10 ·
Other hobbies?- let's see:

Bass Fishing ( freshwater)- lures only- catch and release
Surf Fishing-all baits
Metal Detecting
Mountain Biking
Auto Detailing
Canoeing
Hiking-nature walks

Flatband

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
My number one hobby is making the next birthday. Here are pictures of me at 23 and 74. I am posting this for the one that said that I look a little older in my videos. Well it just so happens I am. Tex

Attachments

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
i am pretty much into anything that shoots other things, firearms, air rifles, archery, both traditional and modern. i hunt, fish, trap. camping and all around bushcraft. i generally just spend a whole lot of time in the woods. oh yeah i bike just about everywhere, buts that is more of a lifestyle choice for me than a hobby, but i still do it for fun, its just one more thing that gets me out in the woods.

#21 ·
Dayhiker, this is the first (and only spoon I ever carved). It was made from a block of sheoak; probably from the same block as the Shootist.

panch0, here's one of my early knives a dagger from my 'bling' period.

I am also into aviation. I fly light aircraft (I flew a PA-28 Cherokee from LGB to MLB return once) , ultralights (Quicksilvers) and used to skydive (60 jumps), although none so well as working with my hands, which is probably a sign I should focus on the workshop and live longer.

#25 · (Edited by Moderator)
after collecting and making slingshots, which is a hobby I've taken recently, I also like to collect knives, although they are very hard to find in my country (and if you find you have to pay almost three times their real value, only in Mexico!)

unfortunately, cause of muy job, I find it very difficult to get out to the wild adventure.

¿Do I have problems that other people understand my hobby? of course!! the slingshots and knives are not a common hobby, but I have two to three allies, my father, my grandfather and my uncle, on Sundays we usually do a "private shoting tournament"on a property that we have in the outskirts of the city
and besides, I like oil painting, watercolor, pencil drawing and ink ... visual arts in general.

architect by profession

Have a nice day.

#29 ·
I love to fish, both fresh and saltwater. My wife and kids love the outdoors as well. I also love flinging arrows from recurve bows and longbows. My main bow right now is a Fred Bear Kodiak 60 pound draw at 27 inches. I like wood arrows but prefer the more durable carbon arrows. I also love motorcycles, choppers from the 60's & 70's style. NOT the custom jobs with the weird shapes, over the top paint jobs, over done chrome, and fat tires. I'm in the middle of rebuilding my Harley Davidsonn Sportster motor right now, it was 883 cc's. I had a machine shop bore and hone the cylinders for larger 1200 cc pistons. Its going to be fun!!

#30 ·
Here are a few of my hobbies.

This is my Ibis Mojo Mountain Bike that I love to ride. We have a nice MTB park about 20 minutes away.

This is my 1/16th scale E-Revo R/C Car, along with my 30' x 40' track to run it on. I used to race 1/8th scale Nitro, but it became a little time consuming, and the "nickle and dime factor was a bit much. Now that Brushless Motors have moved to the forefront, Electric is the way to go IMO.

This is my homebrew fan dipole antenna, that I talk around the world with. I'm a licensed Extra Class operator, and just yesterday made contact with a gent is Serbia, transmitting with only 100 watts.

This was my 40th B-Day present, a new Honda Mid-Tine roto-tiller. Also pictured are my onions and brocoli coming up in the garden, along with a pic of a new bed I made around my old honey Locust trees. I was able to use some wood chips I dumped off one day last Fall, from work.

#31 ·
Thanks for your kind words guys. As my wife likes to say, I can make anything but money! Dayhiker, I followed a commercial spoon and used a band saw, woodcarving knife and dremel to rough out then sanded to shape.

Jim, they're some cool hobbies that you have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.