Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to make board cut slinger out of cutting board material but not wood.

Wondering if they can take the strain and NOT snap on me.

Which is best?

·
Resigned
5,547 Posts
I did try this and I did not like anything about it so I tossed it. If you do decide to cut one you may have to keep water on the blade because it easily fuses with lettle head. I have a feeling that with a fork it, it may shatter. You may want to look for some other kitchen utinsile of sorts.

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
I have made many bombproof frames from 3/4" commercial nylon cutting board( friend was remodeling his restaruant kitchen and i got the scraps). It cuts easily with a bandsaw, routes easily and can be scraped or trimmed with a razor knife to finish. I always give beginners this material for learning, as it cannot be broken by fork hits or other wise. I also keep one of these in my boat, as it is impervious to fresh and salt water. Must depend on the material you are working with, but i have had great experiences with it.

·
Resigned
5,547 Posts
I have made many bombproof frames from 3/4" commercial nylon cutting board( friend was remodeling his restaruant kitchen and i got the scraps). It cuts easily with a bandsaw, routes easily and can be scraped or trimmed with a razor knife to finish. I always give beginners this material for learning, as it cannot be broken by fork hits or other wise. I also keep one of these in my boat, as it is impervious to fresh and salt water. Must depend on the material you are working with, but i have had great experiences with it.
Then I must have picked the wrong cutting board. If I decide to cut another one I will seek the better one as you have made reference to.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The boards that are really hard acrylic type materials could be brittle. Find a local machine shop that works with UHMW or Acetron, they are very tough. and you could probably get some scrap pieces big enough to make some nice slingers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.