Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How did you decide what size steel BB to shoot for targets?

In theory 6mm is best, as it will have the fastest lock time (leave the pouch the quickest), the flattest trajectory (due to low weight), have the fastest feet per second flight. The downside of 6mm (for me) is that it's damn uncomfortable to hold at full draw i the pouch and most difficult to release smoothly (?) presumably due to the comfort.

I'd like to shoot just 1 size BB so that i can truly learn it's characteristics and trajectory. But which size? Do i gain comfort at the expense of loosing flat trajectory?

In the UK, comp's are shot with 6 to 10mm steel BB (your choice). So i need to stick to a size in that range, though as yet i haven't taken part in any competition - frankly i'd not be good enough right now.

Cheers for help on this conundrum.

·
Neophyte
2,095 Posts
I use 3/8 (9.5mm I believe) the most as it "shoots the middle" for me. It is small and light enough that you get a lot of it when you buy it by the pound / kilogram. It is large enough to have some authority when hitting cans or spinner targets, the only things I really shoot at. It is the smallest size I can handle for a long shooting session, anything smaller and I get cramps and that is no fun. The speed is pretty good on the 3/8 too and if you really want them to shoot flat you can run your bands hot and there you go.

If I need more power I generally step up to 7/16" and I have some 1/2" that I hardly ever use. The problem with this heavier ammo is that you need equally heavier bands for them.

I have considered trying the 8mm ammo but just have not gotten a "round to it" yet. :)

Reactions: Blaze

·
Registered
205 Posts
7/16" steel is almost all I use but the 12mm balls from old wheel bearings give me much more consistent velocities, and unfortunately that supply has dwindled to about 5 vs the 700+ 7/16. I like a heavier draw and grabbing a smaller ball leaves the thumbnail part of my thumb feeling like it's been overworked after even a short session, so in the interest of avoiding joint injuries it's all big balls over here

·
Super Moderator
6,192 Posts
Odd you find 6mm uncomfortable. What is uncomfortable - the draw weight and trying to keep a grip on a fairly small projectile?

9.5 (3/8) is the most common size ammo - it can be the cheaper size as well with some looking around (eBay).

Also give 8mm a go.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Odd you find 6mm uncomfortable. What is uncomfortable - the draw weight and trying to keep a grip on a fairly small projectile?

9.5 (3/8) is the most common size ammo - it can be the cheaper size as well with some looking around (eBay).

Also give 8mm a go.
Yes its so small there isnt much to grip on. I use a fairly light taper for it 15-10mm. I guess i could try it with a 10mm straight band.
The logic is to try and make 6mm work for me for all the reasons i set out. Speed and trajectory are quite defining points.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I still go for the 3/8" most often, but lately I have also been appreciating the 5/16" and 1/4" steel. They all fly straight from 10M but I find that the heavier ammo does better when using spinners as targets and there is almost no bounce-outs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts