Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,887 Posts
If you've just cut it, strip the bark off and put it away for a few months.
You should be able to tell how dry it is when you debark it.
You never know what frame is in there until you start carving. Good luck and keep us posted

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
How do I know its dry
Where did you find your fork? I find mine on the ground and almost always, they are dry.

As Grumpy said, strip the bark off and place it in a plastic bag. Put it in the microwave for 30 seconds. Is there moisture in the bag? If so, let it cool to room temp and nuke it for 30 more....keep doing that until there's no moisture in the bag.

·
Registered
662 Posts
If you are unsure of it being dry. You can put in the microwave on 70% power and nuke it for 45 seconds. If you hear a hiss then it has moisture in it. and Nuke again. During that process the bark is on for me since I don't want the microwave to damage the inner wood. I'm lazy So I cut the forks and handles really long. Then wait for months till I have forgotten about them. I do time stamp them so I have a reference though.

(Sorry Devils son in law.. Just realized we gave same advice.)

As for what to do I would make a peg head (OTT) or my personal favorite a Match stick (TTF).

·
SLING-N-SHOT
4,189 Posts
@j3ff It looks like there is a pretty healthy split down that fork.

I think I would do as several of the other guys suggested, and nuke it till dry, then see if it cracks below

the point it is split now, then decide what to make.....maybe salvage a PFS out of it ?

To really give a good opinion though, I would need you to send me a First Class, ROUND TRIP airline ticket so

I could come look and give an in-person opinion. :yeahthat:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts