Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know, I am in the process of building the kid next door a slingshot. Lads' name is Hugo, he's a good kid for a 13 year old. Oops wandering off the thread again...Anyway, I have the fork done. Three coats of BLOil, buffed to a soft sheen. Wood is what we call Russian olive. It was the driest fork of the ones that I cut in Idaho. So I weighed it then popped in the microwave for a couple of minutes to see if it was still moist. NOTE to self... never put dry olive wood in the microwave then go off and leave it. The up side is now I know for sure that I some alarm works.

Anyway, It is ugly as ugly Satan's mother. Not going to win any prizes with this thing. Now back to names. You guys have all these names for different shaped slings. If I lived another 10 years, I couldn't learn all the shapes names. So I'm calling this one Quasimoto because it's bent and ugly but it's inner beauty is enough to win Esmeralda's heart.

Gotta go figure out how to build a jig for attaching bands to pouch. Boy it is hot! Probably around 100 in my shop, may have to wait 'till evening or morning. Thinking about the camera thing, if I learn I will post a picture, and you guys can have a hoot!

·
Premium Member
3,229 Posts
I like it...would love pics

Remember all names are made up...just like all the words ever... and we ate half Centaur, too.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I like it...would love pics

Remember all names are made up...just like all the words ever... and we ate half Centaur, too.
I agree with MakoPat. I have to see this Quasimodo as well. I only prefer home-mades that have some kind of defect though so it will probably look amazing.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Good for you for encouraging Hugo to shoot. He is a lucky lad and I am sure that he will enjoy his new SS, no matter what it is called or how it is spelled. Be sure and get Hugo some safety glasses. Don't forget to try some light bands, an oversize pouch, and paintballs!

·
Aimstinctivist
774 Posts
Quasi, meet Edna:

Edna3_zpskob4qjxt.jpg

SJA, The offspring of these two will likely win Doc Winnie's next ugly slingshot contest. I'll split the winnings with ya... :)

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quasi, meet Edna: LOL, I took old quasi out for a try (until the heat drove me in. 107 right now) couldn't hit a school bus at 30 feet! I gotta rethink this whole over the top thing. I cut the tops of the forks so that they would be parallel to each other on top, but it would seem that they have to be right angle to the fork. New bands, new try. The forks just kept getting shorter and shorter. I'm not even sure that it's safe to shoot. I'll make sure it's safe before I hand it over to someone else.. Thanks to all you guys for your encouragement.

Edna3_zpskob4qjxt.jpg

SJA, The offspring of these two will likely win Doc Winnie's next ugly slingshot contest. I'll split the winnings with ya... :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts