Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this topic has been rehashed a million times, but Im curious what you guys are using as your beater targets? You know, the punching bag of your catch box. That spinner or chunk of hose in my case, that just wont die. I was using a 2L bottle cap hung on some 1745 as a shock absorber, that worked great for about 350 shots but its getting kinda chewy. I need a new one, and everything Im making is getting over engineered and therefore failing in a few hundred shots. So I ask you:

Whats your invincible target of choice? :)
f6ff60290cbf0e8723d1580bbdebc44f.jpg

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
3cm spinner from aliexpress, indestructible and very cheap 10 pack option. They only lose their bright orange colour if left in the sun. 5cm tennis ball, nice yellow, easy to see, indestructible too :)
Occasionally, if I feel I deserve it, I will use an aluminum can, maybe once a week.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha yup I keep a csn hanger in my catch box and shoot many cans a week! Awesome reactive target. :)
It's usually aluminum cans for me, I love the sound they make with a good solid shot and that last money shot to finally split it in half is always fun. There's also that odor of stale beer that happens to appear too.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
3cm spinner from aliexpress, indestructible and very cheap 10 pack option. They only lose their bright orange colour if left in the sun. 5cm tennis ball, nice yellow, easy to see, indestructible too :)
Occasionally, if I feel I deserve it, I will use an aluminum can, maybe once a week.
I killed my 3cm spinner of the same kind. They dont like 3/4 draw with 5/8" marbles from 15m very much lol.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
I should add mine came used in some slingmail, likely had seen better days!

*Sorry for all the edits my phones keyboard isn't working very well!*

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I killed my 3cm spinner of the same kind. They dont like 3/4 draw with 5/8" marbles from 15m very much lol.

Now you got me thinking, when will I abandon my short draw for good? When I started shooting I found it much easier to get at least near the target with a long draw.... Time for a change again maybe?

·
679 Post Club
3,015 Posts
I've been through a few leather discs in diminishing sizes and have moved to a 52mm padded vinyl spinner made by Leon13 in Germany. Very durable and makes a great *thwack!" when hit.

This evening I've been trying a spinner made of a 50mm square stainless steel washer with a 10mm hole in it. It's quite bizarre when the shot goes clean through the hole without clipping the steel at all. A hit is rewarded with a modest "ping!" and a few spins around the cord. Bounced ammo is more frequent off the steel.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been through a few leather discs in diminishing sizes and have moved to a 52mm padded vinyl spinner made by Leon13 in Germany. Very durable and makes a great *thwack!" when hit.

This evening I've been trying a spinner made of a 50mm square stainless steel washer with a 10mm hole in it. It's quite bizarre when the shot goes clean through the hole without clipping the steel at all. A hit is rewarded with a modest "ping!" and a few spins around the cord. Bounced ammo is more frequent off the steel.
Ouuu I really like that vinyl pad! Very slick. What did you use in regards to leather? Ive got some nice thick leather about 1/4" thick. Not sure how to make it work. Any help or photos would be great! Im sick of bottle caps and chunks of hose lol..

Reactions: Ibojoe and Tag

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
BPChef, this never gets old... that is why we keep coming back to the topic.

Cans, cans, cans, and spinners.

My favorite spinner is a ss spoon with convex bottom pointing at me. The sound and the spin are too fun.
Also I put some knockdown targets Tag sent me on counter-sunk magnets. They make no sound. Looks looks like a bit of thick bin padding or maybe conveyor belt material. Any way that is fun , too. Sometimes I need to be quiet.

I need to make some leather slappers, Ash. Those look very tough and portable for my backstop blanket set up. Wooo! That slap sound will be a treat.

I also considering making some 12mm thick aluminium disks.

·
Premium Member
4,900 Posts
My catch is a pvc barrel. I cut targets from the same material any size you want. Hundreds of shots with no damage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
625 Posts
I use small steel cans like tomato paste cans or VB juice. Tuna cans as well. I punch two holes in them so they hang upright and swing like crazy with a solid hit. Like the sound to. Go through a tin can every shooting session. I also have some small spinners but i like the sound and the cans make better.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I use small steel cans like tomato paste cans or VB juice. Tuna cans as well. I punch two holes in them so they hang upright and swing like crazy with a solid hit. Like the sound to. Go through a tin can every shooting session. I also have some small spinners but i like the sound and the cans make better.
Im a can man myself Dave. ;) hahaha.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts

I really envy you guys :( I like cans a lot myself too, but I am not allowed to shoot them before I achieve a consistent 9/10 on a 3cm spinner :(

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I really envy you guys :( I like cans a lot myself too, but I am not allowed to shoot them before I achieve a consistent 9/10 on a 3cm spinner :(
Dont be such a hard ass on yourself - rip a can Id say youve more than earned it lol!

·
Premium Member
4,900 Posts

Yeah, cans are always fun!

·
679 Post Club
3,015 Posts
What did you use in regards to leather? Ive got some nice thick leather about 1/4" thick. Not sure how to make it work. Any help or photos would be great! Im sick of bottle caps and chunks of hose lol..
Leon13's leather discs are hard leather about 5/16" thick and they last ages. Mine were 3 or 4 layers of 1/16" leather that was no good for pouches. I laminated it with contact adhesive, although that came apart eventually. Hot glue or stitching is better. 1/4" thick would be perfect.

In action:

1 - 20 of 85 Posts