Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Prince of Paraprosdokians and Epistemophilia
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been involved with many hobbies and interests, involving research time, purchasing process, investment, storage, sometimes specialized tools for the hobby/interest, and I know that you guys and gals have other interests than slingshots and slingshooting.

My current favorite other-than-slingshooting interest is riding my motorcycle, a 2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400 ABS KRT pocket-rocket sport bike (at the age of 74).

What's yours????

THWACK! Shoe Automotive design Art Gadget Font
Sleeve Font T-shirt Electric blue Sportswear

Attachments

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Life man! I'm like a blind dog in a meat market. I roar around wagging my tail and crashing into things until I get locked in on one delicious smell. I stay with until it has taught me all I want to know, then go roaring off in other direction! Can't help myself, been that way since childhood. Life is full of interesting stuff.

·
Premium Member
3,287 Posts
Backpacking...goes so well with slingshots. Just like motorcycling does.

I have gone light (not ultralight, that's not my bag-literally) and retro. Old external frame with full flat and open loading. That top loading only of new backpacks is not convenient nor practical.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,671 Posts
Bass Fishing and Surf fishing!

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
my life's obsession has been surfing. Started at about 7 or 8 when my parents would take me to the beach on holidays and then once i had my own transport at age 16 that was it (now 53 where did all that go)

Its pretty much dictated where i live, my career choices and has been the reason for all of my travels.

I windsurfed from age 18 and then kite surf but my main passion is still surfing.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
I'm a jazz musician. I play upright acoustic Bass. mainly Standards and traditional Americana. For four glorious years I made my living this way playing in Philly, Atlantic City and New York. Those were the days...
Let's see some of those basses, my man!

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I'm a jazz musician. I play upright acoustic Bass. mainly Standards and traditional Americana. For four glorious years I made my living this way playing in Philly, Atlantic City and New York. Those were the days...
Let's see some of those basses, my man!
This is my " dog house". Its a Robelli 3/4 size upright bass. My 1935 Kay is on loan to a friend at the moment.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Flatband and Treeman - I grew up in South Jersey and have fond memories of "going down the shore." My dad used to take us surf fishing. He caught a bluefish exactly once in all the years that he went.

Archery - enjoy making arrows, strings, and generally tinkering with recurves and longbows. Really enjoy shooting field and 3D courses. Mrs. Raja and I volunteer once a week at an archery club at a local Waldorf school.

Yo-yos - my dad got me started in the late '50's - early '60's and I got to teach my son during the yo-yo fad of the '90's. Recently rediscovered yo-yos and I am amazed at the advances in yo-yo technology. Kind of like the difference between a wire-framed slingshot and an ergo.

Slings - enjoy making them and launching rocks and golfballs for distance. We also have a beautiful disc golf course not too far from us that is laid out like a golf course. I sling tennis balls there.

Under the heading of truly weird hobbies - I enjoy reading about the history of surgery. This started decades ago when I read a description of a leg amputation by a naval surgeon in one of the Horatio Hornblower books. I am currently reading about Joseph Lister's use of carbolic acid to create a sterile operating field. Hard to imagine surgeons prior to the late 1860's had no concept of germ theory or wound care. Most surgical patients died from some type of infection. Anesthesia was first used in 1846. This means that a generation of surgeons had the ability to attempt more complex surgeries without the patient experiencing pain. It also meant an increase in death by gruesome infections until antiseptic surgery was finally accepted post 1870 or so.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Flatband and Treeman - I grew up in South Jersey and have fond memories of "going down the shore." My dad used to take us surf fishing. He caught a bluefish exactly once in all the years that he went.

Archery - enjoy making arrows, strings, and generally tinkering with recurves and longbows. Really enjoy shooting field and 3D courses. Mrs. Raja and I volunteer once a week at an archery club at a local Waldorf school.

Yo-yos - my dad got me started in the late '50's - early '60's and I got to teach my son during the yo-yo fad of the '90's. Recently rediscovered yo-yos and I am amazed at the advances in yo-yo technology. Kind of like the difference between a wire-framed slingshot and an ergo.

Slings - enjoy making them and launching rocks and golfballs for distance. We also have a beautiful disc golf course not too far from us that is laid out like a golf course. I sling tennis balls there.

Under the heading of truly weird hobbies - I enjoy reading about the history of surgery. This started decades ago when I read a description of a leg amputation by a naval surgeon in one of the Horatio Hornblower books. I am currently reading about Joseph Lister's use of carbolic acid to create a sterile operating field. Hard to imagine surgeons prior to the late 1860's had no concept of germ theory or wound care. Most surgical patients died from some type of infection. Anesthesia was first used in 1846. This means that a generation of surgeons had the ability to attempt more complex surgeries without the patient experiencing pain. It also meant an increase in death by gruesome infections until antiseptic surgery was finally accepted post 1870 or so.
Wow! I had no idea yous were from South jersey! I'll meet cha at da diner. We'll have a glass of wooder.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Well... I have way to many to list here. My first love is music, I've been playing many instruments sense I was a young kid. Then it would be fishing and hunting. Boat building, guitar building, knife making, long bow building, single track mountain biking, building and flying rc planes.

And that's just a few lol. I have way to many hobbies

·
Registered
2,774 Posts

interesting...I guess some of those guys in the civil war could peel a limb off a guy in fast order. Gruesome!

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.