Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I started shooting it was at the age of 13. I was not allowed any weapons as a kid because my mom didn't like them. How I started shooting has to do with my mom's approval and a store closing. There was this store called Payless that we went to all the time. But for some reason it was starting to close down. They annouced that they would close within a week. So I remember just looking around the store and my mom called me. As I turned my head there it was. A Trumark FS-1 in all of it's glory! But I didn't have any money and it was the only one left. So that night after begging and pleading with my mom that I will be safe and not shoot animals or people, the next day she got me the slingshot. I remeber shooting candy (lemonheads) at tin cans! Me and my friends even had slingshot a war. We were shooting eachother with balled up paper. Of course when the cops were driving by on a routine patrol they cut the war short by taking not the slingshots but the bands. That's what got me started.

·
Banned
1,015 Posts
I was 10 and a friend had gotten a ristrocket. He had one so that ment i had to have one to so that week i used my lawn mowing money and got mine. we would walk along the creek and railroad tracks shooting at any thing that moved and most things that dident. Over the years ive had many with and with out rist suport but now i like them to be small and seldom go anywere without one in my pocket.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I was ten and my family had just moved. I found my brother's daisy and asked him if I could take it outside.
He said yes and I fell in love with slingshots. JT

·
SSF Founder
5,225 Posts
I was probably 12 when I got my first Marksman Wrist-Lock. Like Trugreen, my mom did not want me to have weapons(odd since she was in the military until 2 years before I was born). I had a blast with it, shooting all kinds of stuff in the woods. Being the nerd I am, I immediately realized that the only thing I wanted to shoot was ball bearings due to their "superior" shape.

·
Registered
56 Posts
When I started shooting it was at the age of 13. I was not allowed any weapons as a kid because my mom didn't like them. How I started shooting has to do with my mom's approval and a store closing. There was this store called Payless that we went to all the time. But for some reason it was starting to close down. They annouced that they would close within a week. So I remember just looking around the store and my mom called me. As I turned my head there it was. A Trumark FS-1 in all of it's glory! But I didn't have any money and it was the only one left. So that night after begging and pleading with my mom that I will be safe and not shoot animals or people, the next day she got me the slingshot. I remeber shooting candy (lemonheads) at tin cans! Me and my friends even had slingshot a war. We were shooting eachother with balled up paper. Of course when the cops were driving by on a routine patrol they cut the war short by taking not the slingshots but the bands. That's what got me started.
Hey trugreen my first slingshot came from a payless store too! its a wrist rocket and I still have it. My father managed a payless store for many years in my home town. when it closed down he started gunsmithing. small world! I cant remember how old I was but I was young, I remember having a really hard time pulling it back. I got my first gun when I was 6 and I know it was around that time I got my slingshot, because, of course I couldnt use my .22 unless my father was with me, so he got me the slingshot to shoot when he wasnt around. I remember the neighbor boy and I were never separated from our slingshots (thousands of hunting expeditions down at the ol' crick), then as I got older it found a place on my shelf and got forgotten about. when I joined the jacks shed forum it rekindled my interest in them and brought back fond memories. recently I have been building them and having a great time

·
Registered
803 Posts
I started when I was 8 or 10 yr old, course that's bout 62 yr or so back, with red inner tube bands, pouch from shoe tongue, and a apple tree fork, allus carried it on my handlebars==GOOD GREIF= that was a LONG time ago.

Attachments

·
Banned
388 Posts
started very young too at about 9 years old,i first had a milbro then a succession of natural hazel forks,untill the barnet blackwidow.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I first shot a slingshot at maybe 8 or 9 yrs old. I mainly shot when my dad and I would go out camping, though I did some backyard shooting too. At about 12 yrs old I sorta lost interest, and didn't pick it up again until just the past year at 38.
I guess you could say I took a long break.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Longbow here.

I started to shoot at 7 or 8 years old. I used old car tubs. ( real rubber then. ) And a maple tree fork. I'm 65 years old and still use a tree fork , also several store bought ones.

My best one is an old Marksman extended fork one with Trumark red tapered rubbers . Ps I love the new forum.

Longbow

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hi everyone,
like most others I too started around the age of 8 or 9. Had a go on a friends milbro and was instantl hooked but bieng the son of a coalminer couldn`t afford a milbro so set about making my own (with varieng success!).
Move forward a few years and with money in my pocket (paper-round!) I got myself a black widdow which served me well right up untill the deablo was introduced. Black widdow was now old hat and I had to have a deablo, which I got but was a little dasappointed with and soon disgarded.
Move forward again a good few years and I`m now in my late thirties and enjoying them more now than I did back then!!!!!!!!!!

Chuff.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had to be 7-8 and my father gave me one when we were at my grandfathers lake house in Pennsylvania. I remember I thought it wasn't working right because I couldn't see where it was shooting. Then I shot it into the lake and looked on in astonishment as I realized how far I could now reek havoc! Good ol' days... Scary

1 - 12 of 12 Posts