Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been meaning to do a proper written review of the Pocket Predator S.E.R.E. for some time. I originally won this frame in a contest along with several other members. It's almost exclusively set up for TTF, but it works equally well in OTT & I actually prefer it that way when shooting full butterfly. I've added a small piece of red fibre optic to the corner of the fork for a crystal clear reference point in OTT.

The inch and a quarter wide fork tips allow for some serious bands, and with the 1"×1/4"×6.5" TBG I have it set up with its rabbits and doves down with authority. When I need air rifle like accuracy, say for sparrows outside 10m, I carry the S.E.R.E.

One thing I would say is almost a necessity, is drawing aiming lines down the centre of your bands for TTF shooting. Properly drawn with with a nice black pen, the lines make precise shots much easier IMO. When I'm hunting, I like a very clear reference to make as clean as kill as possible. When I lock in my anchor point and set my line on a critters kill zone, I feel extreme confidence in the manner that shot is going to fly.

I haven't even gotten into the fact that it takes down & converts to shoot arrows, but I'll leave that stone for you lot to turn as I only have experience with this frame as a slingshot. This is my 'if if had only one' shooter, albeit a difficult decision to make. If there's one negative (if you can even call it that) would be that assembled, it's quite a large frame. However I feel this is offset by the fact that it can be taken down, and that if you just leave it assembled as I do, it has a weaver rail for a flashlight to help justify it's large size.

This frame gets it done when a job needs doing. I've taken 4 rabbits, 1 skunk and countless pest birds with this frame. It feels solid in the hand and locks directly to point of aim with a straight wrist. If I was alone and starving - as the S.E.R.E. mindset prepares for - I would take much comfort I the knowledge that this frame was in my pack. With a few takedown arrows, a bag of steel balls, a few extra bandsets and a couple pouches - you would have a solid means of securing game.

For those of you who don't hunt, the S.E.R.E. is still an excellent contender as a target frame. It's lightweight, lends itself to intuitive aiming, and doesn't cause fatigue after shooting tons of shots. To summarize, whether you're a hunter or a target shooter - you need a S.E.R.E.

Thanks for a wicked design Bill!

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the review Chef!
The SERE, in it's many design configurations was one of my favorite challenges
Not a problem Bill, I know review products I really believe in and the S.E.R.E. is certainly one of those pieces of kit!

I actually had a question for you as well, do you ship your lead ammo to Canada? :)

Reactions: hoggy

·
Registered
243 Posts
BushptotChef, now that is a very good review, it could be placed in a sporting goods magazine. I'm going to add that It uses flat bands and tubes (truly quiet w/tubes) with no problem and can throw full those arrows BushpotChef mentioned with surprising speed, also.

·
Premium Member
4,073 Posts
Not a problem Bill, I know review products I really believe in and the S.E.R.E. is certainly one of those pieces of kit!

I actually had a question for you as well, do you ship your lead ammo to Canada? :)

I wish we could, but the shipping is just to much.... actually costs more than the ammo.

The USA... we'll subsidize other country's shipping to us... but let us try and send something out, and they really try to punish for the notion.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I wish we could, but the shipping is just to much.... actually costs more than the ammo.

The USA... we'll subsidize other country's shipping to us... but let us try and send something out, and they really try to punish for the notion.
Such a bummer, I've got some nice gum rubber sets coming from @Natural Fork & I'd really like to send some lead balls after the rabbits this summer. Looks like I'll be buying a casting mold lol.

Thanks anyhow!

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BushptotChef, now that is a very good review, it could be placed in a sporting goods magazine. I'm going to add that It uses flat bands and tubes (truly quiet w/tubes) with no problem and can throw full those arrows BushpotChef mentioned with surprising speed, also.
Thanks alot OS'42! I too noticed it's very quiet with tubes, as is generally true of tubes. Will be writing a little more and trying to get my youtube channel back active again lol!

Check me out at Cold Shot Slingshots on YouTube :)

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great review. I was thinking about a SERE and your review answered a lot of questions.
Thanks alot Blue! I hope my review helped you to pull the trigger on a SERE, truly a fantastic shooter. It's the one frame that whenever non shooters glance over my collections the go 'Oh that's cool...Oh I like this one...*spots SERE* WOAH, WHAT'S THAT ONE IT LOOKS SERIOUS!"

In fact, it's caused somewhat of an inside joke. My boy who always shoots my SERE when we're out (he's getting his own soon) said one day after taking a pigeon at 40ish feet with with a hex nut, 'I tell you what Chef, this shooter puts the SERE in serious.'

·
Registered
243 Posts

Such a bummer, I've got some nice gum rubber sets coming from @Natural Fork & I'd really like to send some lead balls after the rabbits this summer. Looks like I'll be buying a casting mold lol.

Thanks anyhow!

You might like lead but with some gum rubber I got from Flatband about 2 years ago and 1/2 Steel a bunny wouldn't stand a chance. Can you get steel balls up in Canada? When I was in the Army we had worked with some Canadian soldiers that had steel ... wait, that's another story. Anyway, some companies that manufacture bearings often have seconds that work well, and sell them on the cheap.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Thanks anyhow!

You might like lead but with some gum rubber I got from Flatband about 2 years ago and 1/2 Steel a bunny wouldn't stand a chance. Can you get steel balls up in Canada? When I was in the Army we had worked with some Canadian soldiers that had steel ... wait, that's another story. Anyway, some companies that manufacture bearings often have seconds that work well, and sell them on the cheap.
I haven't actually looked into any large steels but thst looks like the road I'm going down. I just like big ole lead balls lol.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts