Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,073 Posts
I learned from Tex Herriman in 2009 by watching his videos.... added a couple of things, did videos of my own as did others later and now we're where we are!

Whoever taught Tex... that's gotta be pretty close to the source...

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Really the question you should be asking who is the first person to use the term "gangster" to describe that style on the internet that you could track down probably. As far as who orginally started it I have feeling it goes back to the beginning. With people independently learning that way. I have seen videos of kids in Africa India all over the world shooting like that to some it just comes naturally to shot slingshots that way basically turning your slingshot into a bow which is the closest thing to a slingshot in operation there is .

·
Registered
605 Posts
Back in my teen years I bought a wrist rocket (might have been Marksman) and the instructions said to hold it sideways and use the top fork as an aiming reference point. I thought it was poop instructions and looked silly so I ignored it. I held my wrist rocket straight up and loaded those heavy tube bands with tiny 1/4 inch steel balls and proceeded to miss just about anything I tried to hit. That's probably why I lost interest shortly thereafter and didn't touch a slingshot again until my 40's.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Back in my teen years I bought a wrist rocket (might have been Marksman) and the instructions said to hold it sideways and use the top fork as an aiming reference point. I thought it was poop instructions and looked silly so I ignored it. I held my wrist rocket straight up and loaded those heavy tube bands with tiny 1/4 inch steel balls and proceeded to miss just about anything I tried to hit. That's probably why I lost interest shortly thereafter and didn't touch a slingshot again until my 40's.
that's right I had one of those back in the early 80s but I think I already was using that style from before that my grandpa teached me how to shoot like that even before I got the marksmen if i remember correctly it's been around for ever .

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
When - 1995

Where - Compton, CA

By Whom - Coolio, feat. L.V.

When did it become the norm - almost immediately

Collio and L.V. are both slingshot enthusiasts. The original cassette tape "Gangsta's Paradise" contains a reggae inspired out-take on the B-side "Slingshot Ragamuffin" about the exploits of a "duppy conqueror" who used a slingshot to right wrongs "on de streets of Kingston Town."

He wandered down to Kingston Town

A duppy conqueror was he

no gun, no knife, no machete mon

a slingshot only had he

Slingshot Ragamuffin

Slingshot Ragamuffin

He take aim at all dat is wrong

that slingshot set the people free

he hold that raggedy slingshot on its side

shoot better dat way - don't you see

Slingshot Ragamuffin

Slingshot Ragamuffin

In a Rolling Stone interview, Coolio explained that Jimmy Cliff's The Harder They Come was one of his favorite albums and he started holding his slingshot sideways to imitate the way Jimmy Cliff held his pistols on the album cover

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think it was always around I was shooting slingshot like that since I was a kid the style comes from archery guys who grow up with archery naturally would use that same style in there slingshot shooting it probably goes back since the beginning.
Interesting - in the 40s and 50s, I shot kids' longbows before I shot kids' catapults, and the norm in UK, at the time, was to hold longbows and catapults upright. The holding hand position was the same - handle upright.

We were brainwashed from an early age with pictures of lower class Welsh archers with longbows shooting upper class French armoured knights on horseback. This, we were taught, was a Good Thing. There were a lot of Welsh archers, so shooting the longbows Gangsta style, they might have got in each others way, and changed the outcome of the Battle of Agincourt, and godknowswhat thereafter.

This may have been my first exposure to the concept of the Class System. Using cheap labour to do the real work for you.

It was probably also the last time I heard the English saying anything good about the Welsh.

Later, we were told, King Richard I, "the Lionheart", was shot by a lower class CROSSBOW archer from the battlements of a French castle. This was sneaky, and simply NOT FAIR, considering that he only wanted to enter the castle, rape/kill most of the people who were not worth capturing for ransom, remove anything of value, and burn down the town.

This dastardly incident severely impeded the Lionheart from doing all the things the English loved him for - like never learning to speak English, only ever spending about 6 weeks in England, massacring thousands of citizens of Acre, and bleeding England dry of gold and valuables to pay for his armour, horses, Crusades and some other things that they did not tell us about at school. And needing to be ransomed from a shrewd captor in Germany, who received something like England's annual GNP (Gross National Product) for releasing Richard to his loving subjects.

So we got the impression that CROSSBOWS, shot Gangsta style, were kind of CHEATING, and a Bad Thing.

Sorry, what were we talking about?

:)

Really the question you should be asking who is the first person to use the term "gangster" to describe that style on the internet that you could track down probably. As far as who orginally started it I have feeling it goes back to the beginning. With people independently learning that way. I have seen videos of kids in Africa India all over the world shooting like that to some it just comes naturally to shot slingshots that way basically turning your slingshot into a bow which is the closest thing to a slingshot in operation there is .
Yes, thanks, I really meant the style, not the word "Gangsta" or "Gangster".

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks - hilarious!!! :)

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When - 1995

Where - Compton, CA

Collio and L.V. are both slingshot enthusiasts. The original cassette tape "Gangsta's Paradise" contains a reggae inspired out-take on the B-side "Slingshot Ragamuffin" about the exploits of a "duppy conqueror" who used a slingshot to right wrongs "on de streets of Kingston Town." . . . . . . .
A Blue Raja classic!!! I got as far as

When - 1995

Where - Compton, CA

and I thought "Where are we going this time? . . . is any of this for real . . . do I have the courage to ask him? . . . "

I love the "Robin Hood of Kingston" rap. I have to ask, did that exist, or have you just written it?

:) :) :) :)

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all your replies - it seems the sideways style goes back all the way, in global terms.

Some places had it all the time, other places were invaded by it later.

I was invaded by it in 2018.

:)

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
I think it was always around I was shooting slingshot like that since I was a kid the style comes from archery guys who grow up with archery naturally would use that same style in there slingshot shooting it probably goes back since the beginning.
Yeah, I do believe that archers started it.

Reactions: mike160304

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Mike 160304 -guilty as charged, sir - it is all made up, including the Robinhood of Kingston rap. You get credit for the inspiration.

MP - archers refer to it as canting the bow, typically about 10 degrees from vertical. It is a more natural hand and forearm position. It is a slight cant relative to Gangsta style. Mounted archers often cant closer to full Gangsta. If you Google "Ishi shooting style" and select images, you will see an example of a reverse archery cant (reverse Gangsta?)

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mike 160304 -guilty as charged, sir - it is all made up, including the Robinhood of Kingston rap. You get credit for the inspiration.
I did find a Coolio Gangsters Paradise video, but not the Slingshot Ragamuffin. Now I know why.

The lyrics are brilliant, especially the "mon" touch, they deserve wider recognition, and someone other than me to provide music, for inclusion in the Slingshot Forum Audio Library.

Mike

·
Registered
772 Posts
Wow dude I am 1 million % on the same page aswell the Barnett black widow had the same instructions to shoot side on/gangsta, and the same as yourself I thought it was stupid and couldn't hit a barn door with a potato from 10 paces with it hahahaha it's crazy how kids from different sides of the world have the exact same "I know best" attitude haha amazing

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I did find a Coolio Gangsters Paradise video, but not the Slingshot Ragamuffin. Now I know why.

The lyrics are brilliant, especially the "mon" touch, they deserve wider recognition, and someone other than me to provide music, for inclusion in the Slingshot Forum Audio Library.
Mike
You are too kind!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts