Slingshots Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

Registered
Good method, I will use it to make several bands at the same time and have them prepared in bags.

One question, that way, in the first photo, the first band on the right would not be with its right side straight and the left tapered?

Sorry I woke up recently and I still have a thick head lol
Short answer is yes, the very first side is from the straight of the latex. Long answer, as long as you alternate, the taper width on each end, it works out to be correct. The miniscule amount of "error" is not enough to mess it up. The band does not know that it was straight at one time in life. All the band knows is that it is 20mm on one end and 15mm on the other. There is absolutely no problem and will say that 99.9% of people cut their taper bands with the first and last band along the parallel edges.

Also, once you get a little practice, you can cut two layers of latex at one time this way. Cut two sheets the same length. Dampen your fingers with water and spread it on one side of a latex sheet. Lay the other latex sheet on it. It will take a few minutes of fiddling with it to get the edges aligned and work out the bubbles. The water will act like a temporary glue and hold the two sheets together. I have even stored these matched sets still stuck together with water until I was ready to tie them to a pouch days or weeks later.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Short answer is yes, the very first side is from the straight of the latex. Long answer, as long as you alternate, the taper width on each end, it works out to be correct. The miniscule amount of "error" is not enough to mess it up. The band does not know that it was straight at one time in life. All the band knows is that it is 20mm on one end and 15mm on the other. There is absolutely no problem and will say that 99.9% of people cut their taper bands with the first and last band along the parallel edges.

Also, once you get a little practice, you can cut two layers of latex at one time this way. Cut two sheets the same length. Dampen your fingers with water and spread it on one side of a latex sheet. Lay the other latex sheet on it. It will take a few minutes of fiddling with it to get the edges aligned and work out the bubbles. The water will act like a temporary glue and hold the two sheets together. I have even stored these matched sets still stuck together with water until I was ready to tie them to a pouch days or weeks later.
Ok! Good info 馃憤

Registered
I do after your picture A

There is so little difference on the taper especially for me so running butterfly 1 cm here or there on the taper itself does not do much for the precise taper. I think the differences are greater on different bandmanufacturers, bandversions from the same manufacturer with the same diameter.

The question is if you as a shooter notice any difference, it is in the end what you are used to that counts? "my" 18-12-295 will always be 18-12-295 as long as I always do the same.

Registered
I do after your picture A

There is so little difference on the taper especially for me so running butterfly 1 cm here or there on the taper itself does not do much for the precise taper. I think the differences are greater on different bandmanufacturers, bandversions from the same manufacturer with the same diameter.

The question is if you as a shooter notice any difference, it is in the end what you are used to that counts? "my" 18-12-295 will always be 18-12-295 as long as I always do the same.
I cut my bands like picture B.

I measured my bands to see if it would make much of a difference in the actual taper by doing it as in picture A.

Here's the results, the band width would be reduced by about 1mm on each end of my taper at the active band length with picture A.

The band that I measured was a 24mm - 20mm taper at my active band length that was cut according to picture B.

If it was cut according to picture A, it would be right at 23mm - 19mm over my active band length.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Registered
The band that I measured was a 24mm - 20mm taper at my active band length that was cut according to picture B.

If it was cut according to picture A, it would be right at 23mm - 19mm over my active band length.
I agree with that, but if you have longer bands, the differences will be much smaller...

21 - 27 of 27 Posts