Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I cut out some slingshots for my daughters from random wood I found but she dropped it and the fork broke off... Thinking the wood was too soft I bought an oak plank but it seems like I acted without searching. I searched and I found old threads recommending Baltic Birch ply from hobby lobby but it seems like they no longer carry the skus that was recommended.

can anyone tell me an online or local source for this and what the minimum thickness should be? 3/4 inch?

Lowes and home depot recommended oak or cedar

thank you!
e2069f78d3de879205888b2f1d8b7f47.jpg
b3e29873b76cdedf1bdb9e271d32ced1.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
009d2136d2279bfd604370244556a016.jpg
780da5498fefb9cf5c7cb33065d1f1cf.jpg

d0a3e436246cea021df2826076964ffe.jpg

·
Registered
198 Posts
Have fun I just started that whole process last week. I was able to buy Baltic Burch plywood.at my local Home Depo. in a 4'X2' sheet. I think it was $28.00 for a 3/4" piece. I also made slingshots for my daughters. they loved it.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
My Hobby Lobby has Baltic Birch plywood. I don't think they have 3/4" though.

You don't have to use 3/4". You can use thinner plywood for the core and skin the outside with nicer wood. Or you can glue thinner sheets together to make it thicker.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks everyone for the recommendations! I'm going to try and find some this weekend!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Baltic birch plywood is quite common in Europe, and I tend to find remnants from large boards at a local D.I.Y store at a 50% discount price.

Ideally, the thicker it is, the better: I generally go for 22 mm thickness (0.86 inches), with regard to safety, but also because of the shaping it enables for that perfect ergonomics.

It seems as though "Home Depot" sells it in the US, albeit a rather thin variety (floor boards?): you would need to ask your local outlet whether they also sell it at 18 mm thickness (0.70 inches) and above. Anything under that thickness is a bit risky in my opinion.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-2-in-x-24-in-x-48-in-Birch-Plywood-Actual-0-476-in-x-23-75-in-x-47-75-in-1503004/202088758

I have attached high draw weight flat bands to pinch-grip slingshots made with the 22 mm birch plywood, no problems whatsoever. This is very strong stuff, very safe slingshot making material indeed. Clearly, you do have to make sure that the wood is impermeable to water after the final sanding stage i.e. varnishing or treatment with wood sealant (the latter can be water-based to avoid strong vapors) to ensure that it retains its full tensile strength.

Just show this attached photo at the store to be clear about what you need.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,192 Posts
Yeah - the wood you used is pine. Bound to break - soft woods aren't up to the stresses. Even hardwoods with vertical grain can easily break like yours under the right conditions.

As some of they guys mentioned - you can easily laminate your own board as long as the grain runs 90º between sheets.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
found a rockler close by and they had some Baltic Birch ply going to try again this weekend thanks everyone!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I know i`m a bit late to this thread but here is my 2 pennies worth:

I used to have a timber flooring business a few years ago and still have contacts in the trade.

I have been using off-cuts of 19 and 21mm engineered wood flooring. Its cross ply with a solid 5-8mm wear layer. Its strong, light and easily worked.

If you can get your hands on some quality 14mm engineered flooring you can glue the faces of 2 pieces together to get 28mm thick with a nice solid wood centre section again easily worked.

Hope this helps someone..

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts