Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

In your opinion, who (which company) makes the very best commercially available slingshots in terms of the following criteria?

1 - Overall design

2 - Originality

3 - Ergonomics

4 - Raw materials used

5 - Overall build quality

6- fun to shoot factor

7 - Accuracy linked to design features

8 - Purchasing price

Feel free to select the criteria of most importance to you.

I'll start: I personally have a liking for slingshots made in the USA and China, and particularly like the stainless steel slingshots with fiber optic sights from China in view of their potential accuracy.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
Not tried any from the USA yet, but those mini Taurus ones should be available soon.

I certainly lean towards to Chinese stainless steel and resin ones (Lion Mouth, Antelope, Popeye), also love my Wasp Stingers and own build PFS.

I look for quality, comfortable ergonomics, easy carry in pocket and of course fun factor.

But there are so many I'd have if I had the funds and space, the LBS are certainly ones I enjoy seeing posts of and in action. I know I've missed some (many) out lol

Have to add so many fantastic own builds and amazing craftsmanship from so many of the members here

·
Super Moderator
6,192 Posts
Think thats really complicated question. Each commercial maker has a few stand out frames. And generally they are fairly priced... Also depends heavily on where the recipient lives - postage costs etc. Also broadly speaking each builder tends to have their own thinking on what makes a good frame. Bill Hays' frames tend to be fairly unique - and so do Nathan Masters'.

Pocket Predator - Topshot / Scorpion (Suspect the Taurus in there when its released)

Simple Shot - Axiom Occ / Axiom Champ / Torque

Wasp - Deltawing / UniPhoxx

Dankung - X6 POM / Tibetan Antelope

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Interesting thread.

My vote goes to A+ Slingshots. My Kit Fox hybrid gets high marks for all of the criteria, 1 through 8. The hammer grip and arm brace help you line up your wrist. It is designed to shoot heavy tubes, instinctively. It is plywood. The fit and finish are excellent. It is sturdy and tough - I had a bunch of frame hits when I was learning to use it. It was a simple matter to lightly sad them and re-seal the finish. This is a very accurate slingshot designed for heavy ammo (Perry and Kay recommend half inch steel shot, but 5/8 marbles fly great). It is a lot of fun to shoot. More expensive than production slingshots, but worth the price.

Perry also designed a second frame that uses the same wrist brace to launch golf balls for distance. Very original and a blast to shoot. I have not tried it on a golf course, but I launched a bunch of golf balls on the driving range. Very accurate and consistent. All of the golfballs were within 20 yards of each other.

This is a large slingshot that can only be carried in a hunter's bag or day-pack. You adjust the wrist brace with a 1/2" wrench, that you really should carry with you for field adjustment.

·
Grandpa Pete
1,419 Posts
I have only had the opportunity to try a couple of manufactured slingshots and they were all wonderful, functional, well thought out and performed well. Some people will have their favorites but there are so many good options on the market and all the manufacturers that I know anything about put out top notch products.

GP

·
Aimstinctivist
774 Posts
Bertrand Sloan. Folks around town just called him "Wack Job" or "Wacky." He was reclusive, standoffish, and one of the finest wood shapers who ever lived. Some say he was over 130 years old. Others said he was in his mid-sixties and hadn't aged particularly well. Regardless, man had a knack. He forged his own carving knives and made only six pieces per year, which were sold privately for exorbitant sums. His work provided well for him and his ferrets.

Over the years he's made hockey sticks, ping pong paddles, boomerangs, croquet mallets, gavels, and yes, slingshots, for well-to-do clients. They say he was capable of binding the piece to its recipient on both spiritual and molecular levels. I commissioned a toothpick once. I seldom need to floss anymore and my smile has been described as dazzling.

Sadly, Wacky disappeared into the mountains last August. A note was found at his chalet which simply read: I've been called to do higher work. Don't search for me. -BS So, nobody did...

Should he return, shall I let him know of your interest?

·
Registered
4,735 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
The one you can make yourself is the best
After that any of the sellers here like Bill Hayes simple shot rayshot make good stuff
I agree. When you buy a slingshot from somebody, that slingshot was not made for you specifically unless the builder took many measurements and considered the type of shooting you will be doing. You get a one size fits all slingshot. When you make it yourself you can refine, test it,refine it some more until it feels just right. And it is probably going to be less expensive.

·
Mojave Mo
5,149 Posts
My experience has shown me that the best 'production' slings in the USA.
1. Pocket Predator
2. Simple Shot
3. SPS Performance

No particular order, outstanding support from all.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.