Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a hankering to start shooting indoors, thus avoiding inclement weather and being within reaching distance of my fridge. I know a lot of you slingers have indoor setups in your basement or garage, but some of us aren't so spatially blessed. I've got a two bedroom, single bath duplex that is decor heavy thanks to my wife's talents. Normally I wouldn't dream of shooting indoors. However...

If I stand in the living room, I have a canted view down the hallway and into the kitchen. I could theoretically set up a catchbox by the backdoor and have a nice 10yd shot. Obviously this would be a mobile setup, to be safely put away at a moments notice. So here's the question. Do I stick with .177 ammo and let the risk factor sharpen my shooting skills? Or do I get some of that airsoft ammo? Covert5 sent me some rubber paintballs once, and they're great but require a big pouch. I'd prefer to use my EDC frame indoors as well as outdoors.

P.S. - if you do use airsoft ammo, what kind of bands are you using, and do you just live with the ammo curving all over the place? I can't seem to make it fly straight.

P.S. II - If you're shooting inside, what's the worst miss you've had. Did you break anything? I'm trying to weigh pros and cons here.

·
Trying to find my way.
399 Posts
I shot airsofts and bbs inside once, using single strand extra small tubing from simpleshot. I can confirm that an airsoft alone is enough to put a deep hemispherical dent in a solid wood door. BBs dented said door as well, but I was most surprised by the airsofts. I personally enjoy the excuse to get outside in the fresh air, but being close to the food is nice. Oh, the other problem I had was that the ammo was so small, the backstop so dark, and the lighting so bad that I couldn't for the life of me tell where exactly my shots were going, but your results may vary.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I shoot my air pistols and cattys inside when I can't go out. I live in a two bedroom trailer so to get my distance I have to set my catchbox up in my master bathroom and stand in my living room which is exactly 10yds. I have a "safety" blanket behind my catchbox. Before I had my blanket up I put a piece of 1/4 inch steel into the bathroom mirror, didn't shatter it just made a nice hole with some lovely cracks coming from it lol.

HAVE FUN, AIM SMALL, MISS SMALLER

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
A couple of years ago I shot all of the Pocket Predator winter challenges in my daughter's basement which is used as a play room for the kids. The challenges were set at 21 feet but I couldn't get 21 feet at my house. I used 3/8" steel for the challenges. I never was concerned about hitting something . There were windows and a big screen tv in the room. Behind the camera there is a kitchenette with a refrigerator and a micro wave. I set a broom over the backs of two kitchen chairs, then draped an old blanket over the broom for a backstop. Never broke anything. Here is a video of the set up in action.

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
I shoot down my hall.

I use a garment rack with a sheet over as a huge backdrop. I have had a few patches in my sheet rock...that's it.

I do recommend heavier ammo...bb's and 1/4" ricochet the most.

I will get btter pics.

Attachments

·
Read Only
0 Posts
A couple of years ago I shot all of the Pocket Predator winter challenges in my daughter's basement which is used as a play room for the kids. The challenges were set at 21 feet but I couldn't get 21 feet at my house. I used 3/8" steel for the challenges. I never was concerned about hitting something . There were windows and a big screen tv in the room. Behind the camera there is a kitchenette with a refrigerator and a micro wave. I set a broom over the backs of two kitchen chairs, then draped an old blanket over the broom for a backstop. Never broke anything. Here is a video of the set up in action.
nice shooting u even have spectators at your range ;-)

·
Registered
403 Posts
I shoot 5/8" marbles inside. I have broke stuff and probably will again.

I recommend sticking with a set up you know and shoot well. Inside ain't for experimenting or learning.

·
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I shot airsofts and bbs inside once, using single strand extra small tubing from simpleshot. I can confirm that an airsoft alone is enough to put a deep hemispherical dent in a solid wood door. BBs dented said door as well, but I was most surprised by the airsofts. I personally enjoy the excuse to get outside in the fresh air, but being close to the food is nice. Oh, the other problem I had was that the ammo was so small, the backstop so dark, and the lighting so bad that I couldn't for the life of me tell where exactly my shots were going, but your results may vary.
I can't believe you were getting that kind of force with an airsoft BB! That was my last refuge of safe ammo... I may need to rethink things.

·
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mike have u seen some of the stuff busted on the fb groups . I have seen busted windows and tv s lol
I haven't seen them, but I'll try and check it out. My biggest danger with my proposed setup is the windows in the back door.

Reactions: 31610

·
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Paper ammo and nail-darts indoors (darts stick to target, improve your aim). Hexnuts, steel balls, plaster of paris balls and darts outside.

attachicon.gif
15854774637370.jpg
Hey, I haven't seen those before. If you've got time, I'd love to see a post about how they're made or function. Are they like stingers (darts we made in school and shot at one another with rubber bands)?

·
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mikey, what's your edc frame?
I was shooting a gapper frame I made, but lately I've been using the Pickle Bone MakoPat sent me, and a snazzy Boo Shooter from Skaard. All three are setup with single 1632 red tubes about 7" long. I've been shooting .177 BB's through them. They don't have a ton of zip, so I thought they may be alright for indoor usage.

The rubber ammo you sent me is great, and I've shot it through a large wrist rocket I have. I may make a 1632 single setup with an extra large pouch to lob those. They're definitely house safe. I always put off making band sets because it's my least favorite part of the hobby.

Reactions: Covert5

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Paper ammo and nail-darts indoors (darts stick to target, improve your aim). Hexnuts, steel balls, plaster of paris balls and darts outside.

attachicon.gif
15854774637370.jpg
Hey, I haven't seen those before. If you've got time, I'd love to see a post about how they're made or function. Are they like stingers (darts we made in school and shot at one another with rubber bands)?
Just take that paper (or newspaper) and cut into strips not wider than your pouch and use a glue stick to roll into a cylinder, tight as you can (or use tape). I use to fire on lizards crawling on the wall. I don't like reptiles in my personal space but the cat loves them. No wall or paint is damaged... you are only shooting paper. Everyone is happy except for the lizard. And yes, I got the idea from my misspent school days.

Paint Gas Cylinder Font Tints and shades

For even more fun indoors, I also use darts.... I call them "Persuaders".

They auto-rotate to target.

Plant Gesture Creative arts Art Grass

Font Terrestrial plant Advertising Poster Menu

Use a wide pouch for these! For added safety I only fire them with one of those store bought mass-produced "wrist-rocket" type slingshots with a wrist-brace.

This is how you shoot them:

Attachments

·
Read Only
0 Posts

attachicon.gif
15854774637370.jpg
That's pretty cool
Just take that paper (or newspaper) and cut into strips not wider than your pouch and use a glue stick to roll into a cylinder, tight as you can (or use tape). I use to fire on lizards crawling on the wall. I don't like reptiles in my personal space but the cat loves them. No wall or paint is damaged. Everyone is happy except for the lizard. And yes, I got the idea from my misspent school days.

attachicon.gif
15854978333520.jpg

For more fun indoors, use these.... I call them "Persuaders".

attachicon.gif
15300170245020.jpg

attachicon.gif
15300170245781.jpg

Use a wide pouch for these! For added safety I only fire them with one of those store bought mass-produced "wrist-rocket" type slingshots with a wrist-brace.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts

attachicon.gif
15854774637370.jpg
Just take that paper (or newspaper) and cut into strips not wider than your pouch and use a glue stick to roll into a cylinder, tight as you can (or use tape). I use to fire on lizards crawling on the wall. I don't like reptiles in my personal space but the cat loves them. No wall or paint is damaged... you are only shooting paper. Everyone is happy except for the lizard. And yes, I got the idea from my misspent school days.

attachicon.gif
15854978333520.jpg

attachicon.gif
15300170245020.jpg

attachicon.gif
15300170245781.jpg

I've never seen darts fired that way quite creative you'd be a big hit in the Philippines lol.

·
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

attachicon.gif
15854774637370.jpg

attachicon.gif
15854978333520.jpg

attachicon.gif
15300170245020.jpg

attachicon.gif
15300170245781.jpg

Nice! Thanks for the explanations.

Reactions: 31610
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.