Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tied these things on in every technique I have found on the forums and youtube. OTT and TTF. Tried every possible combination using latex strips, string and even tried zip ties but with catastrophic failure. Wrapped them so tight that my fingers almost bleed. They always end up slipping out and failing within about 20 shots. Read countless posts and watched youtube following instructions to the letter. What am I doing wrong? Is there some super secret method I'm unaware of? What am I missing.

·
Aimstinctivist
774 Posts
Alright. Nobody freak out. It will be okay.

So we've had an inquiry about the super secret tying method from a member with less than ten posts. It's not the end of the world. I've seen the SSTM sent to a member with as few as 47 posts before, so yes this would be unprecedented, but you have to admire the guy's spunk:

:whisper: (You really have to pull the tie rubber to its maximum stretching point during the wrap and tuck. After you have your initial layout wrap on, subsequent wraps have to be made with that tie rubber stretched to its limit. Pin it to the frame with your finger in between revolutions. If it slips at all when you go to pull the tuck, redo it. It takes a minute but you'll get it...)

This post will self-destruct next Thursday at 3:05 pm est.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Like Hulla Baloo said, stretch the rubber ties to their max and keep them tight. Even a tiny bit of slack can matter. I wrap three times, place a loop and then wrap four more times and thread the end through the loop and pull to lock.

Roughing up the slingshot a bit where the bands are tied on can help as can cutting a bit of a notch at the front of the forks.

I also don't cut the ties flush because I don't want them to work their way out.

If all else fails try a drop of rubber cement over the latex ties.

·
aka CYBORG
2,060 Posts
Suggestion - you've tried everything, move on. I hate tying, bc it's frustrating with a half impaired right hand, much prefer Chicago Screws.

The cool new Scout has screw-on flip clips that will make you smile ... whatever works for you.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I use ties about 3/8" and sometimes go as wide as 1/2". Some people will put a wrap on the fork first and then lay the band on top but I rarely do this step. I leave about 1/2"-5/8" extra band below the wrap. Wrap a couple of turns, then flip the 1/2" piece up and wrap over top of it to cover completely. When I want lots of holding power I'll wrap about 3/4" of fork length.

Bill's Taurus frames come with 1632 tubes for wrapping. You can get a good tug on them without concern of breakage. I have used them just like latex flats and ended with a tuck under.

Apparently there is a new wrapping "tape" that sounds interesting. The tape should secure better than latex strips.

The clear polyurethane ribbon from fabric stores works well too. The 1/2" width works fine at the forks. Check in the sewing section.

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
I had lots of trouble and tried different things and materials but was ultimately successful first laying down a layer of tying material under the band like lbojoe said, and using inexpensive "band tying tape". It's a thin, clear, stretchy material that really lets you bind the bands on.

Also, I've found that it's helpful to tuck the hanging ends of the bands up and give it a couple more wraps before forming the loops to pull through (if that doesn't make sense there are some videos on YouTube showing what I mean).

Finally, I realized that when I was tucking the tag ends of the wrapping material through the loops before pulling under the wraps, I was easing off the pressure and not keeping everything extra tight at the end.

Hope something here is helpful.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Sometimes with really wide fork tips (like a torque) the wrapped tie can be real tight at the edges, but pretty loose in the center. I'd suggest an extra long tie. Wrap it around the fork once or twice then lay you band on top of the first couple wraps, and continue wrapping on top of the band. Wrap it pretty tight, but the last wrap doesn't have to strangle the life out of your finger to hold the tuck. Don't trim the tie all the way up to the tuck either. Leave a good 1/8"-1/4" hanging out. I've been using #32 rubber bands for pretty much all of my ties. They just seem to be about the right size for my fingers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a cheap easy solution to your problem. Get a roll of double face tape (Dollar general has them at $1 roll). Put a small piece of tape on the fork before you tye your bands on. I have a couple frames that have been finished to a glass like finish and I could not keep bands on them. The double face tape solved my problem. Good luck

Harold

1 - 15 of 15 Posts