Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Too true.
Since my state Queensland's premier opened our borders to the rest of Australia early December 2021 because we reached the 80% double vaccinated level we have gone from zero new covid cases per day to over 10,000 per day recorded at testing facilities.
Our grocery supermarkets are struggling to get stock including basic meat cuts and toilet paper supposedly due to so many distribution centre workers isolating and being unable to work.

BTW, I'm not blaming SS..... we're just so resticted for imports down here.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Seems strange that shipping from
China to France is often free reguardless of item cost, granted can
litterally take momths but when not
in a hurry .....
I from a moral standpoint would like to
not send any cash there but my "gimmies" outweigh my conscious.
GZK is also on my no list as they also
have silly shippping prices if under a certain amount that I will not reach,
I honestley would love to support a local shop but never going to happen here in France, have never seen even one frame or supplies on sale anywhere.
Slingshooters warehouse in Spain has and will get my business, huge delay and hassles though with frames from their China warehouse, like 3 months!
Having read good things about sniperslings latex placed order for a roll. They list free shipping but was up to me after 2 months to contact to ask where roll was, they said emails sent, I got
none, explaing "address problem"
there is none, never has been, I think they are more than happy to ship one a hundreds + frame for free but just one roll of rubber not so keen?
They did refund with no problem
though but would have much liked to test bananna colored fast rubber.
But must add that also had to email
100% slingshot to ask where order was after a month and a half, I have a feeling small orders are low priority
which from a cash flow view makes sense I guess.
I have come to accept that online comands can and will take way to
long and only place low euro ones just in case.
ukj

·
Registered
731 Posts
$US109.65 to ship a Sparrow slingshot.
Wow those are steep shipping costs, this is why I like to make my own, for 100 bucks you can by lots of material to make several forks in house, these rip off prices will only encourage folks to do things for themselves, and in the long run the retailers will lose out.

I would ask the question, what is driving the inflationary prices in the first place, but that is another thread all on its own.

·
Registered
731 Posts
The toughness within society is often created by a loss of creativity, without these basic attributes in our immediate environment we become skilless slaves to the corporate rhythm now in our midst.

·
Premium Member
2,278 Posts
I’m kind of torn down the middle on the wood/plastic debate. I’ve seen some amazingly nice wood and plastic slingshots. The wood has its own feel and quality and the plastic I could probably run over with my truck and it’d be okay, so I think there’s value in both. As a beginner I know I wouldn’t have wanted to drop the money on an expensive hand crafted sling only to put a bunch of forkhits in it (which as luck would have if I ended up doing with my wood one regardless) but I felt a hell of a lot better about dinging up my Scout!
I think Nathan’s in a hard position because he’s still a moderately small company with huge demand worldwide. There’s no way he could produce anything like he was doing with flippinout these days, he just doesn’t have the money or the manpower or run a sweatshop, so he went the mass production plastic route.
One big benefit of that is that it brings in a lot of new people into the sport, which is great, because slingshots are awesome and the sport deserves the attention, and because then it in turn increases demand for the smaller operations and artisans wares as people become more passionate about the sport and desire customs and what have you.
He looks like he genuinely tries to share as much information with his video series as he’s able, in that, being videos on making a slingshot out of a good ole tree branch. He even has a whole in depth walkthrough on it for amateurs.
As far as shipping costs are concerned, they stated a while back that they began using a third party paid insurance/tracking service, because of the number of packages, especially sent overseas, that would simply go missing. It was a huge amount of money out his pocket at the end of the day. I’d imagine he also does use better shipping for exactly the same reason. That all might be the same company for all I know. I like his slingshots and have slightly mixed feelings about his latex. He’s got a bigger company now but I feel still genuinely exemplifies good character, which is kind of in line with slingshot shooting as a whole and from what most of my experience here on this forum has been, and we can definitely use more of that in the world. And you know, other folks will feel differently about all of that, and that’s cool too. There are a lot of decent producers out there to choose from, and for the time being at least, trees too.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I’m kind of torn down the middle on the wood/plastic debate. I’ve seen some amazingly nice wood and plastic slingshots. The wood has its own feel and quality and the plastic I could probably run over with my truck and it’d be okay, so I think there’s value in both. As a beginner I know I wouldn’t have wanted to drop the money on an expensive hand crafted sling only to put a bunch of forkhits in it (which as luck would have if I ended up doing with my wood one regardless) but I felt a hell of a lot better about dinging up my Scout!
I think Nathan’s in a hard position because he’s still a moderately small company with huge demand worldwide. There’s no way he could produce anything like he was doing with flippinout these days, he just doesn’t have the money or the manpower or run a sweatshop, so he went the mass production plastic route.
One big benefit of that is that it brings in a lot of new people into the sport, which is great, because slingshots are awesome and the sport deserves the attention, and because then it in turn increases demand for the smaller operations and artisans wares as people become more passionate about the sport and desire customs and what have you.
He looks like he genuinely tries to share as much information with his video series as he’s able, in that, being videos on making a slingshot out of a good ole tree branch. He even has a whole in depth walkthrough on it for amateurs.
As far as shipping costs are concerned, they stated a while back that they began using a third party paid insurance/tracking service, because of the number of packages, especially sent overseas, that would simply go missing. It was a huge amount of money out his pocket at the end of the day. I’d imagine he also does use better shipping for exactly the same reason. That all might be the same company for all I know. I like his slingshots and have slightly mixed feelings about his latex. He’s got a bigger company now but I feel still genuinely exemplifies good character, which is kind of in line with slingshot shooting as a whole and from what most of my experience here on this forum has been, and we can definitely use more of that in the world. And you know, other folks will feel differently about all of that, and that’s cool too. There are a lot of decent producers out there to choose from, and for the time being at least, trees too.
I hear you Brother...Bill Hays can still get it done and has time to come on here to give away forks, advise and banter. Just saying.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts