Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess a lot of us get to the point where, drawing to the cheekbone and tuned for 5x stretch (4.75x in my case), we are shooting ammo X with flatband Y with taper Z and getting, say, 200 feet per second.

Then I wonder, what would happen with the same X, Y and Z but doubling the flatband length and releasing from about 2 feet behind my head? Or "Full Butterfly", I think it is called?

In my case, I might get a neat hole drilled through my head and exiting through my right eye, which is best avoided.

Or the pouch might remove my safety glasses, my right ear or a bit of my face.

But apart from all that, what kind of fps could one expect?

I doubt that I am actually going to try this.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I might be a bit strange but I shoot OTT with a semi-butterfly floating anchor but TTF with a fixed anchor against my cheekbone. That distinction helps me to refrain from twisting or tweaking my pouch when shooting TTF. A longer draw for OTT also yields a lot more power and who doesn't enjoy that? My bands are tapered so they always break at the pouch end and when they do, I'll recycle. Shortened bands are repurposed into TTF bandsets. My bands go through two cycles of life for me and they continue to perform just fine on their second life. I shoot mostly Sumeike and Precise rubber.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I switched from a fixed anchor point to 3/4 butterfly floating anchor, I feel like I get faster shots and a flatter trajectory over longer distances when hunting, I love it. Definitely not going back.
What does your set up consist of? Any recommendations for 3/8 (9.5mm) steal?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's all about power for me. I'm still amazed at how much you can get from so little rubber. I shoot targets with 1/2" Sumeike .45's 13" active and draw somewhere around 67". Don't have a chrony but 7/16 steel and .44 lead just breaks target after target.
Love it.
That sounds impressive, I never thought about using 1/2" .45 flatband with 7/16" steel!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I might be a bit strange but I shoot OTT with a semi-butterfly floating anchor but TTF with a fixed anchor against my cheekbone. That distinction helps me to refrain from twisting or tweaking my pouch when shooting TTF. A longer draw for OTT also yields a lot more power and who doesn't enjoy that? My bands are tapered so they always break at the pouch end and when they do, I'll recycle. Shortened bands are repurposed into TTF bandsets. My bands go through two cycles of life for me and they continue to perform just fine on their second life. I shoot mostly Sumeike and Precise rubber.
Thanks, I had never thought about these recycling possibilities.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Extending the draw (with the same Draw Power) from, say, 75 cm to 150 cm gives you higher exit velocity, for example:

CASE 1, 75 cm draw:

Draw Power=4.667 kg
Ammo Weight=3.55 g (9.5 mm steel ball)
Pouch Weight=0.53 g
Rubber Weight (15 cm Active Band Length, 2 cm straight cut, 2 bands) = 4,76 g
Draw Length = 75 cm
Stretch Ratio=5
ELONGATION=60 cm
Exit Velocity=65.2 m/s or 213.9 ft/s

CASE 2, 150 cm draw:

Draw Power=4.667 kg
Ammo Weight=3.55 g (9.5 mm steel ball)
Pouch Weight=0.53 g
Rubber Weight (30 cm Active Band Length, 2 cm straight cut, 2 bands) = 9,52 g
Draw Length = 150 cm
Stretch Ratio=5
ELONGATION=120 cm
Exit Velocity=78.8 m/s or 258.6 ft/s

Points where parameters are different are underlined. In the final analysis, you get more velocity but not two times as somebody might expect, because of the internal math that is used to calculate it.

Somebody may also comment that the gain in the velocity is not much, only some 13 m/s, but if you already have 65.2 m/s additional 13 m/s is not chicken shi**..

cheers,

jazz

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I switched from a fixed anchor point to 3/4 butterfly floating anchor, I feel like I get faster shots and a flatter trajectory over longer distances when hunting, I love it. Definitely not going back.

I'm shooting semi butterfly with a floating anchor and currently using Simple Shot black 3/4" straight with 8" active length. 3/8 steel is sizzling down range!

·
Registered
386 Posts

I'm shooting semi butterfly with a floating anchor and currently using Simple Shot black 3/4" straight with 8" active length. 3/8 steel is sizzling down range!
Thanks m8 :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts