Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

· Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wear prescription glasses.

I am not a user of lanyards. With the small SS I shoot it would be a good idea. I have had a few times one band break while at full draw leaving the remaining band on the opposite fork to twist the catty out of my hand come back at my hand and face and get a painful smack on my knuckles from the catty and a slight graze on my cheek. That is one reason I know lanyards are worthwhile.

This time with a nice smoothly finished catty I just stepped outside to take my first shot and obviously was not as careful and at full draw the catty slipped out of my hand and returned to my face both bands pulling (.04 latex 20 mm taped to 13 mm with 7 inch active). A rather "snappy" band set.

Just think if this was a broken fork from a board cut.

You decide.... should a catty have a lanyard?

I took the one's just a minute or so after it happened when it dawned on me, to share for an object lesson. The cut on my bottom eyelid still has me stumped exactly what made the cut both were bigger bumps than the pictures show.

Forehead Nose Chin Plant Eyebrow
Forehead Nose Cheek Skin Chin

Clothing Forehead Nose Cheek Eyebrow
Forehead Nose Cheek Skin Chin

Attachments

· HOBBYIST-SOPHOMORIC-JACKA$$
7,735 Posts
usually when a slingshot gets baptized by blood, its animal blood, not human blood.

good to see youre okay. recently, ive been leaning towards using lanyards, just easier on the hand to hold.

Reactions: VAshooter and Tag

· Premium Member
4,776 Posts
OUCH! Boy a lanyard would have saved the day!

Heal quick Ray, thanks for posting it may save someones eye!

· Ninja Pirate 007 Sasquatch
2,590 Posts
Wow, sorry to see you got hurt. I started using lanyards in the last two months and actually enjoy their relaxing effect on my grip in addition to the safety benefit. Good on you Ray for sharing this experience. Lanyard and eye protection is the way.

Heal fast man,
SF

· Super Moderator
3,917 Posts
Ouch! That sucks. Thanks for sharing and I'm glad it's not any worse.

I've only considered lanyards for the relaxed grip and preventing the occasional annoying drop. I hate scratching up a frame that way. Though I think your reason is the best.
My pinky hole allows for the relaxation and locks it in hand.

· Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh my!! I'm glad you're ok! Well ok enough, anyway that looks to really smart!

...It wasn't the slingshot I made you was it?
No. Can you believe it? I am taking the most expedient route to get some shooting each day if possible with all I have had on my plate, so only been shooting what is familiar and fast.

· Registered
655 Posts
Glad you are ok mate, same happened to me shooting careless, one of my tubes broke, the catty came back and hit me in my jaw, (It felt like a GOOD punch)i took about a week for me to move it without pain, NOW I use lanyards even tho I don't like the LOOK of it. Lesson learned.

Wish you a swift recovery.

Cheers.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.