Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
No other shooting sport compares.
6,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would assume the wider the fork the easier it would be to shoot consistantly. Am I wrong?

·
6,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should have explained myself. The reason I am thinking wider forks will provide better accuracy is because at full draw there would be less potential to have one band pulled slightly more than the other. Also wouldn't a wider fork with the same bands provide more power?

·
Registered
461 Posts
I shoot more accurate with narrower forks (around 5cm between the middle of the 2 fork ends - better less then more). I`m not 100% sure, but I think there are 2 important points why:

1. I shoot more with such small cattys - I just like it more!
2. When i draw out the band the two sides of it are nearly like one line. It helps me a lot to aim the target. A little bit like pointing the finger at something.
I can`t explain it better - my poor english, sorry!

I shoot over the top. Maybe 5cm are a little bit to small for other attachements.

The speed/power you can reach with the same band is a little bit higher with narrower forks.

Regards
Torsten

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
... but I think there are 2 important points why:

1. I shoot more with such small cattys - I just like it more!
2. When i draw out the band the two sides of it are nearly like one line. It helps me a lot to aim the target. A little bit like pointing the finger at something.
I can`t explain it better - my poor english, sorry!

I shoot over the top. Maybe 5cm are a little bit to small for other attachements.

The speed/power you can reach with the same band is a little bit higher with narrower forks.

Regards
Torsten
Repetition increases accuracy in either style- personal preference. Of course if you ignore your eyes and instincts the 'personal preference' becomes more an ability to learn and ingrain new instincts.

Torsten, are you meaning the bands seem "like one line", or you angle the forks forward to a point where they seem "like one line"? both?

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
I make and try a lot of slingshots. In my experience, if you stick with a certain slingshot for a while -- no matter how badly you shoot with it at first -- you get more and more accurate with it, and it usually begins to feel more comfortable too.
But there is usually a basic kind that everybody's hand likes best.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Wide fork verses narrow fork what does it matter,I have a Bi-thor Dankung with fixed tubes and for me it is perfect I get very good power for targets or hunting and I only use 9.5mm steel.I am aware their are alot of shooters out there who would scoff at this,again it is personal preferance.Most if not all shooters on this forum prefer flatbands I have tried them but did not get much satisfaction using them nor do I see the need for large lead ammo whereas others on this forum swear by it.

·
6,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also have a few slingshots with flatbands, but prefer tubes. I use 3/8 inch ammo. Pretty small.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Torsten, are you meaning the bands seem "like one line", or you angle the forks forward to a point where they seem "like one line"? both?
If I understand you right, I would say: yes, the first part of your question is what I mean.
Or in other words: I`m an instinktive shooter. With a small, compact catty it is easier for me to guess the middle between the forks and then point with this "middle" on the target.
It is even hard for me to explain this to an native german speaker!

But maybe the most important thing is what you and dayhiker wrote: personal preference and repetition...!
That`s why it was also my first point.

Regards
Torsten

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
It depends a lot on what style that you shoot and how accurate. Flip shooting with a narrow fork could be more than or at least as accurate as a wide fork. But everybody that I have shot with personally that shoots a narrow fork has at sometime shot there self (that includes me). This is why I shoot a fork with a 2 1/2 inside the tip dimension today. This is also why large manufactures (like Saunders and Trumark) make there forks wider. -- Tex

·
Registered
691 Posts
I prefer "wider" forks (5 cm) for me Anything smaller, there is much bigger chance to get a forkhit and we dont need that. Small vs. wide fork you get the same energy!!
If anybody thinks otherwise then please explain why?
And yes if you stick to one slingshoot and you watch you attach the bands same way allways you will get very accurate by time.

·
Registered
484 Posts
your shooting style is the point. if your style is correct and u shoot straight thru the middle of the fork and,ore flip in the correct way, it doesn´t matter to u if the fork is narrow! but if u cant, like i´ve done and get so lots of forkhits u will shoot better with a wider fork!

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I prefer wide forks, I just feel more stable, safer when I use them so I shoot better, but then I prefer fifty year old slingshots too..

·
6,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am talking about with the bands at full draw. Wider is more accurate. Unless you are very good at centering the shot every time.

·
Registered
855 Posts
On regular factory slingshots with tubes, I find winder forks much more forgiving of sloppy form. On boardcuts and naturals I don't notice this. THe only problem I found with very narrow boards and naturals was fork hits, but these are a thing of the past now that I've found a hold that works for me.

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
I prefer wider forks because when of wing shooting, they seem to work better and I don't like to switch back and forth. -- Tex

·
6,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
On regular factory slingshots with tubes, I find winder forks much more forgiving of sloppy form. On boardcuts and naturals I don't notice this. THe only problem I found with very narrow boards and naturals was fork hits, but these are a thing of the past now that I've found a hold that works for me.
I should have specified. I was talking about factory slingshots with tubes.

·
Resigned
5,563 Posts
I have tried forks up to 3-1/2 inches between the forks and I still get fork hits If I use the aiming method. I do not get fork hits if I simply point at what I want to hit. I never use tubes anymore I find them ineffective. My best or favorite slingshot is a plywood cut out and between the fork measurement is 1-1/4 inch. Have been using this one for about 6 weeks now without a fork hit but you never know what is coming down the pike. For me for my style a narrow set of forks means smaller grouping.

·
6,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have tried forks up to 3-1/2 inches between the forks and I still get fork hits If I use the aiming method. I do not get fork hits if I simply point at what I want to hit. I never use tubes anymore I find them ineffective. My best or favorite slingshot is a plywood cut out and between the fork measurement is 1-1/4 inch. Have been using this one for about 6 weeks now without a fork hit but you never know what is coming down the pike. For me for my style a narrow set of forks means smaller grouping.
Can you explain why you find tubes ineffective? I have slingshots set up with flatbands and tubes and I do not find one to be more effective than the other.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I think narrower forks are much better.

Narrow fork is easy to carry and aim.

Additionaly for the instinctive shooter,, narrow fork is better choice too because the ammo goes over the top of forks rather than between of forks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts