Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a question...

I'm making a small pickle fork slingshot and I'm using softwood. I have redwood (got a bunch from a friend) and cedar. The cedar will be sandwiched in the center of the 2 redwood scales. For a pickle fork, I would think that the softwood would be fine since the 'forks' of the pickle fork are much stronger than a traditional build. I don't foresee any problems, but! Maybe I'm wrong? Maybe I'll lose an eye? lol If there's any caution that I should consider, maybe this is a good time to ask....

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suspect you should be fine. I may have run the grains at 90º to each other.

Do a pull test when you're done and keep inspecting after any fork hits. The strength will be determined much on the design you use - but always err on the side of caution.
I figured that would probably be the advice given. I thought maybe asking in case someone says that catastrophic failure might happen based on their experience. In a small pickle fork design, I really think there's plenty of strength there to handle bands for sure. Fork hits... well that might be a problem.

·
Super Moderator
6,192 Posts
Strength is determined about how much of the grain is supported - The narrower the section with the same grain direction the more risk of a failure. If you use say a conus design you should be absolutely fine, and you look like you have enough meat to pull that off.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lycosa, check out the 'how to avoid fork hits' by Charles... worked well with pickle forks after I became adjusted to the pouch release.
I think I've seen every single one of Dgui's videos. I just finished my first slingshot and thought I'd be perfectly ready to make sure I wouldn't hit the fork. However, my first shot hit the fork. Put a pretty nice dent in it too. After that first hit, I adjusted my technique and so far so good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts