Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Grandpa Pete
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is your chance to win an original, signed, old school natural fork, found, harvested and finished by Grandpa Pete, one of the oldest guys around on the slingshot forum. All you need to do is to replay why you think "OLD SCHOOL IS COOL" when it comes to slingshots. On May 19th I will review any and all posts and select one that tickles my fancy, massages my ego, arouses my interest or plays into my fantasy that being old is a good thing. If your post is selected from the thousands I expect, I will send you a cool, old school, forked stick to play with.

Grandpa Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
What I actually mentioned with my reply is that it's soo easy to get caught by all those amazing and technically created slingshots. You become a drooling wanna-have-them-all guy. And you forget the most important thing: enjoying life in a simple way. Just shooting.
I've been there, not with slingshots, because I'm a novice. But say stereo equipment, fishing, bikes. Nowadays I only got 2 fishing rods (30 y.o),an old mountainbike and a simple speaker to my cellphone... And no computer.
Easy living and some natural slingshots makes at least this man happy. I've made them myself, they looks like crap but so do I????.
And yes, I'm still trying to hit a coffee filter from 20 feet distance. Not what you call a sharp shooter, but I just love this sport!

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
The Old School is Cool... because they said so.

And even more the Rules are unwritten and understood.

All the hype & malarkey is gone. Nothing but shooting and fun.

My dad's dad (after seeing Rufus Hussey on the 6 o'clock news) imtroduced us to the OG Tree Fork and inner tube. I was a scrawny kid and the bands were less effective with my puny arms (had R.A. even then). So with no internet or other infleunce... I made chained bands that out performed and out shot my brothers and some cousins.

All this work with what you got know how was learned in...

The Old School.

·
Grandpa Pete
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What I actually mentioned with my reply is that it's soo easy to get caught by all those amazing and technically created slingshots. You become a drooling wanna-have-them-all guy. And you forget the most important thing: enjoying life in a simple way. Just shooting.
I've been there, not with slingshots, because I'm a novice. But say stereo equipment, fishing, bikes. Nowadays I only got 2 fishing rods (30 y.o),an old mountainbike and a simple speaker to my cellphone... And no computer.
Easy living and some natural slingshots makes at least this man happy. I've made them myself, they looks like crap but so do I.
And yes, I'm still trying to hit a coffee filter from 20 feet distance. Not what you call a sharp shooter, but I just love this sport!
How did you post this without a computer?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just use my old smartphone.
Easy living and some natural slingshots makes at least this man happy. I've made them myself, they looks like crap but so do I.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
I just use my old smartphone.

Yeah. I do all my online stuff through a browser on my phone with 2 step verification. Inconvenient by today's standard, but I am a student of Old School.

·
Grandpa Pete
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was just thinking.......REAL old school folk won't have a computer or an I-phone. They don't even know anything about this forum. Some place in rural America or in a small village in Africa or in the tropical Jungles of South America there are kids and old guys shooting and hunting with forked sticks and rubber bands. Those are the real old school dudes. That is where this whole thing started.

GP

·
Registered
30 Posts
As a kid I used 2 curved fat nails and some valve rubber. But that's 50 years ago. Now I'm restarting the whole thing again, shooting slingshot. It's a very unusual hobby here in Sweden, people think I'm a bit of retarded????. Perhaps I might be, I don't know and care. In my age it's all about enjoying life and that's what I'm doing!

·
Grandpa Pete
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As a kid I used 2 curved fat nails and some valve rubber. But that's 50 years ago. Now I'm restarting the whole thing again, shooting slingshot. It's a very unusual hobby here in Sweden, people think I'm a bit of retarded. Perhaps I might be, I don't know and care. In my age it's all about enjoying life and that's what I'm doing!
At some point we get old enough to be able to say what we want and do what we want without worrying about what people think.....that is the freedom that comes with ago. None of my local friends "play" with slingshots, blowguns, air rifles, bullwhips, atlatls like I do. As a matter of fact, they have forgotten how to play. We are not retarded, we are independent individuals, enjoying life.

GP

1 - 20 of 55 Posts