Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Since starting again with slingshots last September, after a gap of 63 years, photo # 1 shows how much I have learned, mainly on this Forum, and from my own experiments.

My first slingshot, the "Victorian 2018", on the left, is grossly under-gapped (29 mm) and over-rubbered and is shelved.

My new "Wings" slingshot, on the right, has more space, a 65 mm fork gap and what looks like little rubber, but it is double, Precise 3rd Generation, 0.75 mm flatband, tapering from 11 mm to 8 mm. Short draw style, 5.5" effective rubber length, giving me 4x stretch to my back-teeth anchor point.

Whilst I am happily shooting 8 mm steel ball (and clay ball of same weight) at paper targets with a variety of smaller slingshots, I designed "Wings" for playing with larger ammo, as shown in photo # 2: 4, 5, and 8 gramme clay balls and 10.6 gramme, 26 mm ice balls, as well as beach pebbles, etc.

Photo # 3 shows the rear side of the sling and photo #4 shows the leather cushion tabs on both sides of the rubber.

For both fork and pouch bindings, I used a Constrictor Knot first, followed by Double Overhand Knots and one Double Reef Knot. The Constrictor Knot is brilliant, it allowed me to half-tighten it and then juggle the rubber and leather into perfect position with tweezers, finally pulling it very tight.

I am a beginner with accuracy, but the first few shots with 4-gramme clay balls went well and I progressed to 5-gramme, 8-gramme clay balls and 10.6-gramme ice balls, and the sling hardly seemed to notice the difference.

[I have ordered a Chronograph on Special Offer from Dankung, my current one is not good and I hope to learn more about velocity with various ammo.]

The finish is 3 coats of Rustins Danish Oil, used exactly as instructed on the tin.

For anyone who is interested, these are the other dimensions of "Wings" in mm:

Height 164
Width 93
Fork gap 65
Throat depth 54
Pinch grip width 55
Pouch 80 x 20

I am really looking forward to getting outside with "Wings" when the weather improves.

Mike

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,259 Posts
That finish is great and that fork attachewnt is brilliant and inspiring.

Only since Sept.!?!

You caught back up in a hurry, friend.

I started back into flippery in March. Accuracy is not coming back as I'd hoped. But the fun sure has. I make more than I shoot recently.

Likely not going to make less... but hope to shoot more. I just got a 1,000 more rounds of 8mm. And some lead baby beans...with a few more en route from another Slinger.

I hope to video soon some cans being torn up and burstin' their contents.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I like the wing grafts.

Reactions: Tag and mike160304

·
Registered
588 Posts
That finish is great and that fork attachewnt is brilliant and inspiring.

Only since Sept.!?!

You caught back up in a hurry, friend.

I started back into flippery in March. Accuracy is not coming back as I'd hoped. But the fun sure has. I make more than I shoot recently.

Likely not going to make less... but hope to shoot more. I just got a 1,000 more rounds of 8mm. And some lead baby beans...with a few more en route from another Slinger.

I hope to video soon some cans being torn up and burstin' their contents.
Makopat - Thanks, I wanted a bit of a challenge and the "wings" and the new (to me) double Precise flatbands provided it.

And I had used the Constrictor Knot a lot on sailing boats, but never on slingshots. I love it. One Constrictor Knot is enough really, but the following back-up knots are reassuring.

Like you, I love designing and making things. And I am making progress with accuracy. My new back-teeth anchor point works well and it does not get in the way of my safety glasses, like the under-cheekbone anchor point did.

4x stretch feels good and should give me longer flatband life.

Enjoy!!!

Mike

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like the wing grafts.
I also like the finish :)
And the „Victorian" Seems fine to me, I don't think the gap will be a major problem...
Thanks. For my simple shooting style, "Victorian" is a disaster and highly dangerous - fork hits going all over the landscape.

I don't want to complicate my shooting style "to avoid fork hits". That's PFS country, and not for me. Others enjoy it, that's fine.

"Victorian" is inherently dangerous, for me. "Wings" is inherently safe, even with 26 mm ammo. She simply shoots where I point her.

Mike

·
Mojave Mo
5,258 Posts
Interesting on numerous levels! I have been curious about the use of leather tabs to assist in the 'lift' of the pouch when it clears the fork. I am lucky that my shooting is fairly natural and not too screwy, but I'll adjust anything to increase accuracy and shooting pleasure!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
588 Posts
Interesting on numerous levels! I have been curious about the use of leather tabs to assist in the 'lift' of the pouch when it clears the fork. I am lucky that my shooting is fairly natural and not too screwy, but I'll adjust anything to increase accuracy and shooting pleasure!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Thanks! I used 10 mm polypropylene webbing "carry-over" tabs on "Victorian", but only leather "cushion" tabs on "Wings".

Mike

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks like you took your time, and did a good job on it :thumbsup: One thing to note, you can get more consistent accuracy with lighter draw bands, but I understand wanting to shoot larger ammo with more wallop.
Thank you. Yes, I have several smaller slings with lighter bands for 2-gramme steel balls and clay balls. "Wings" is just for fun with heavier ammo, including the 1" ice balls shown, and beach pebbles, etc.

Mike

·
Registered
588 Posts
Where I wrote:

My new "Wings" sling . . . . is short draw style, 5.5" effective rubber length, giving me 4x stretch to my back-teeth anchor point.

There is an error, but it is part of the learning.

The effective rubber length of 5.5" is too short, and drawn to my anchor point, it is giving me around 4.5x average stretch. And well over 4.5x at the thinner, 8 mm, end of the taper.

I shall re-make the bands with effective rubber length of 6.2", which should be about right.

It is not a coincidence, I think, that my recent purchase, a Dankung Toucan Agile Rosewood, arrived with flatbands with 6.2" effective rubber length. This may become my go-to sling for paper targets and 8 mm steel ball.

The only thing I don't like is that the rubber draws over a sharp square corner. A little rounding here might help rubber life.

Mike

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.