Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wingshooter - Longbow Hunter

Roger made up a walnut Longbow Hunter and it's now one of my favorite slingshots. I have been shooting my own flat frames with a straight wrist but the curvy Longbow Hunter frame is definitely an asset. It naturally sits in a straight wrist hold. The fit in my hand is perfect with the contoured handle swell fitting my pinky finger with comfort. The thin Longbow handle allows me to wrap my fingers and lock the frame into my hand.

Here are the details:

Frame
Wood = Walnut
Frame length = 5 15/16" as the crow flies, or 6 5/8" when measured around the front curves
Between forks = 2 1/8"
Fork thickness = 1 1/16" wide x 1" thick
Throat = 1 3/4"
Handle width = 15/16" at narrowest
Band fastening = Top Slots

Bands
Material = "Tex" brand of Hygenic latex
Thickness = .027" to .028" thick latex
Cut = 1" x 3/4" x 7 1/2" tapered cut

Pouch
Maker = Rayshot double layer pouch
Measurements = 2 1/2" x 3/4" (at widest)

Power
Velocity = 202 fps with 3/8" steel at 31"-32" draw

Final comments
Roger was a great guy to deal with. He answered all my questions and provided a finished product that exceeded my expectations. I have made over 30 of my own frames but the Longbow and Recurve Hunters made by Roger are something I doubt I will even attempt. After watching his step-by-step video I realized that the talent is beyong my level. Roger has much experience with the bandsaw and it shows. His wood shaping ability with power sanders is "elite". The frames he makes are perfectly smooth and symmetrical.

The flared and contoured handle base seems to be a bit of a trademark for Wingshooter. It reminds me of a Schnabel tip on a fine rifle stock. The "Schnabel" slingshot handle gives a secure grip and fits the little finger with sweetness.

I didn't find the Longbow difficult to shoot. It's a natural pointing frame that aids in accuracy. I had no trouble hitting a plastic golfball from 27'. All misses were very close and after more than 100 shots I had no wild flyers at all. My only concern was whether my messed up "trigger thumb" was going to allow me to regularly shoot this wonderful frame. Time will tell.

Pictures to follow.

Cheers,
Northerner

Attachments

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Top Slots... There is plenty of wood behind the slots. It seems quite strong and I had no band creeping after my first shooting session (over 100 shots). The bands didn't slap my knuckles at all.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
nice review. and it was nice to finally see how it fits in the hand. of all the pictures I've seen of roger's caddy's, I've never seen one held!!

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
very in-depth review, roger is good people indeed, just one question, i must have missed this one? why is this one the longbow hunter? instead of the recurve?

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
I have said it before and I will say it again, Roger makes fantasic slingshots! -- Tex

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
very in-depth review, roger is good people indeed, just one question, i must have missed this one? why is this one the longbow hunter? instead of the recurve?
From Roger's web sight:
"The Longbow hunter is the same straight wrist design as the Recurve Hunter. The difference is the handle is narrower and slightly longer. This slingshot is for those shooters that like the feel of the thinner handle." http://www.footbridg...bow-Hunter.html

Quotes from Roger's emails:

"I just start the curve a little sooner to get the longer handle. If you hold a Recurve hunter and a Longbow side by side you can see the difference."

"The Recurve is designed to fit into your hand not stick out behind your hand. The Longbow with the longer handle does stick out a little bit."

Roger's comment on the Recurve hold: "The way it is designed the forks rest against the base joint of your index finger and the joint of you thumb. The small finger and ring finger rest at the base of the handle and the middle finger kind of floats. It really isn't designed to grip. There is so much leverage advantage to the handle being bent like it is there is very little pressure on the little finger at full draw.

Attached are pics of the Longbow (top) and the Recurve (bottom) handles. The Wingshooter Recurve Hunter handle is designed like a recurve bow handle. The Longbow Hunter has a flatter handle like a traditional style longbow.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Comparing the hold on a Recurve Hunter to the hold on a Longbow Hunter.

1 - Roger is holding the hickory Recurve in the pic with the water background. His thumb would be more on the side of the frame when he is ready to shoot.

2 - Roger is holding the hickory Recurve with thumb on top of fork rather than on side (grey background in pic). He took this picture to show me the possible hold option but Roger prefers the thumb to be on the side of the fork. The frame sits a bit higher with this hold.

3 - I am holding the walnut Longbow in the pic with the white background. You can see my fingers wrapped around the thinner handle and the longer length sticking out slightly.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After approx 700 shots the band on my Longbow tore at the pouch. I only lost a bit of length and was able to use the same bands but with a 7" length rather than 7 1/2". My average velocity went from 202 fps to 209 fps with 3/8" steel.

The Tex bands feel great! It's difficult to describe but they seem to feel a bit different than TBG. I ordered a couple of rolls from Tex so I'm good to go for a little while.

The Rayshot pouch is holding up very well. The overall shape and the band holes almost looks the same as when I first started shooting this slingshot. I may have to order a supply of these pouches for other frames.

The Top Slot forks were a lot easier to work with than I first imagined. The bands pop out smoothly after being stretched width-wise. After the pouch was refastened, the bands were rolled at the end, stretched width-wise, and easily popped back into the forks. It's definitely a quickchange fork system.

Cheers,
Northerner

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The shorter Tex bands work great! This afternoon I hung up a 28oz Bush beans can and smashed some dents into it from a measured 60'. I seem to average about 60%-75% hits at this distance. The best I did was 15/20 but I had several 12/20 results. The 3/8" steel shoots flat enough that I can aim at the top of the can and make hits (ear lobe anchor).

I'm enjoying this walnut Longbow Hunter so much that I might have to buy a second one in Spectraply.

Cheers,
Northerner

Attachments

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I recently added new finish to my Walnut Longbow. The MinWax Antique Oil works quite well and is completely compatible with the Linseed Oil that Roger uses. All I did was apply 3 topcoats to the frame. If I get tired of the added gloss I can give it a rub with 0000 steel wool.

Cheers,
Northerner

Attachments

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
How exactly do top slots work for attaching bands? Also what are the pros and cons?
Bill Hays posted a video on using Top Slots at this link. Scroll down until you find Bill's posting.
http://slingshotforu...recurve-hunter/

It's easy to use Top Slots. Roll the end of the band, stretch band sideways, insert into slot, let go of band. On my last attachment I used one extra layer of latex in the fold rather than rolling the end. It's holding fine. As you will see in the pics, I left some extra latex so I can re-use the bands when they break. Have a look at the various pics above and you should be able to see the rolled band ends in the top slots. Roger has some good close-up pics on his web sight that might help you understand the Top Slot attachment. http://www.footbridg...Spectraply.html ... also check out his recent video on Top Slots http://slingshotforum.com/topic/15617-how-to-setup-bands-and-tubes-on-the-top-slot-setup/

Top Slots are a good remedy for handslaps. The bands recoil straight back rather than flying over the fork tips and back at your fingers. You can still use the fork tops to aim, just like regular OTT attachment.

The "con" would be the lack of variety in bands/tubes that can be used. If you have slots cut for .030" latex then 1/16" gum rubber won't fit. I doubt that .050" would fit either. You have to cut the slots for the bands. I mainly use .030" so this isn't a concern for me.

Cheers,
Northerner

·
Yeah I'm a predator ... so let's go huntin
188 Posts
I've used TB Gold to Tex's latex with no modifications of the slot.. Here are my two beauties set up with Tubes, the Recurve Hunter is a double slot TTF shooter and the LongBow Hunter is the Topslot configuration...They both shoot fantastic, my Two favorite slingshots
Kip

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts