Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I received a surprise package from Winnie (a.k.a. John Winskill). Inside I found one of the most beautiful slingshots I have seen. Alas, my photos do not do it justice.

In his note, Winnie indicated that he found an old fork next to a creek somewhere on the Oregon coast. It is beautifully spalted. Winnie's work shaping the rough fork produced a wonderful compact frame that fits my hand just about perfectly. The general shape of the frame reminds me of my mutant ninja, but the fork gap is a bit bigger than the ninja.

The finish is very smooth, without being the least bit slippery. Although there is some shine in the photos, in my hand the finish appears to be mat rather than gloss.

He said he could not bear to give it someone who might get a fork hit, so I was the lucky person that came to his mind. Now, I shoot with a finger hook and thumb brace, holding the fork way up by the band ties. With that hold, fork hits are almost impossible because the frame is covered by the fork of my hand running from my index finger, down the web of my hand, and up the thumb. What others might experience as a fork hit, I would experience as a hand smash ... my natural fear of pain means that I just do not do that!

It is banded with TBG and has a nice, soft pouch that appears to be elk hide. Winnie said that he thought 3/8 inch steel might be a nice load, as the bands were not that heavy. I have done some shooting with it. I found I can easily pull it to about 3/4 butterfly. With that draw, it really smacks .44 lead with considerable authority. It also handles my lead hunting slugs cast from my wooden mold just fine. It even did well with .50 lead at ranges of about 7 meters. I think my preference is for the .44 lead ball.

Winnie, I want to thank you so much for your incredible generosity. If I had made this slingshot myself, I do not think I could bear to part with it. It is currently residing in my pocket and will be my everyday carry slingshot, at least for a while.

Cheers ..... Charles

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
Ooooh La La, that is a pretty one. Finely worked, too. Congratulations, Charles!

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Beautiful flip! -- Tex

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
That is a really nice piece, and as you've mentioned the spalting is beautiful.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts