Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I'm getting open heart surgery. Anyone have any first person info on how soon you can pull a band back? It looks like 6-8 weeks for the sternum to heal. Might have to make some super light bands I'm going to be bored! I've been through this before but it was 7 years ago and I wasn't shooting slingshots then.

· Registered
The Slingin’ Cock 🐔
467 Posts
Good luck with the surgery and I hope you have a speedy recovery time. Just take it slow and don’t try anything until you’re in the clear, even if you “feel” better, you don’t want want to injure anything that’s meant to help you. Prayers going your way brother.

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone! I'll blog on this thread with updates, I will be plenty bored in the hospital. Last surgery, I was in the hospital with an aortic aneurysm for a week. I figure this time around by week 3 I'll have a bb shooter going:cool:
I'm getting my aortic valve replaced due to a birth defect so it's game on, I'm picking the date tomorrow, then should be a week or 2 out. I'm only 38 years old so I'm pretty stressed out and full of anxiety at the moment. But I'm in good hands.
I have about a week to get 3 months of work done at my shop for when I'm down recovering. I'm not good at letting others do what I do, delegating... I have to do everything myself so it's done right. But we are cutting our hours and days open way back.

· Registered
1,554 Posts
Good luck and be patient with the process of getting better. I went through over a year of cancer treatments and 8 months of chemotherapy recently. I definitely second the blowgun option, that was one thing I could always do when I was unable to shoot a slingshot. You can sit down and it just takes an even hard blow to hit that spinner. I also now stick pretty much to ¼" steel, it was all I could pull back for a long time and now I'm used to it for Target shooting. I can go out to about 15 m with less than 5 lb a pull weight on the bands.

Vince

· Super Moderator
7,204 Posts
Wow love your attitude! Your first concern is when you can pull the bands back on your Slingshots!o_O Ya gotta love that! Heart surgery is secondary. Talk about priorities! Hoping and praying for the best out come for you. Gotta love people like yourself(y)

· Premium Member
1,384 Posts
Best wishes for a speedy recovery .May be you can try a blowgun if not contraindicated by doctor .
I’d like to be a fly on the wall when you ask the doc if shooting a blowgun is okay. I’m not sure that prefacing it with “I can’t shoot my slingshot will help. 😄
BTW, your age really works to your advantage.

· Registered
797 Posts
Lots of good points and best wishes so I'm just piling on. Your age will indeed really help and sounds like you have an active life which should make your fitness help also. Had a CABGX5 12 years ago at 60 and was back at work lightly after 6 weeks. If you think about it , drawing a slingshot actually compresses the sternum so use that against the MD if needed;). Good luck

1 - 20 of 30 Posts