Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a mora companion today, my first blade ever and after trying my hand in wood carving with an unsuitable blade that was laying around, I am simply amazed at how important a good blade is!
I whittle down wood very fast, and I actually have to be careful not to take out much material!
The purpose of carving is making slingshots of course, but I can't help dreaming of carving something else entirely, just for the joy of carving wood!
Through slingshots, I discovered that I absolutely love working with knives, and carving!
My next step would be to get the dedicated wood carving mora knife of course!
I would also like to ask if there are any wood carving tasks suitable for a complete amateur like me.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Skropi

Here in the U.S. almost every good sized town has a group of wood carvers. They are as enthusiastic about their hobby as we are about slingshots. Maybe there is something similar where you are.

There are quite a few folks that carve designs and figures on slingshots. Maybe one of them will see this post and give you some pointers.

I think almost all beginning carvers attempt a tree spirit as one of their first carvings.

YouTube is friend.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking forward to seeing your craftsmanship. I had a friend that carved walking canes and gave them to friends and family.
I don't believe I will become decent at wood carving anytime soon.... I'm now at the process of carving a simple frame, but carving the intricate designs I see online seems very hard!

·
Mr. Mars
360 Posts
Looking forward to seeing your craftsmanship. I had a friend that carved walking canes and gave them to friends and family.
I don't believe I will become decent at wood carving anytime soon.... I'm now at the process of carving a simple frame, but carving the intricate designs I see online seems very hard!
Takes years of practice for sure. Similar to carving leather. I have been thinking of ways to incorporate leather into a design.
Wood burning is cool too. Have you thought about that?

·
Super Moderator
6,192 Posts
The Companion is a nice blade - I have the heavy duty one.

As to what to carve... spoons, canes, frames, bookshelf... almost anything. Great thing is no matter what you make it'll be unique :)

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Takes years of practice for sure. Similar to carving leather. I have been thinking of ways to incorporate leather into a design.
Wood burning is cool too. Have you thought about that?
Wood burning? I am not sure what that is, but I am going to check it up now!

·
Mr. Mars
360 Posts
Here's something that you will need for certain: a quality water stone.
Yes many good stones out there today including water and oil but for the harder steals out there, diamond is nice.
Spyderco Sharpmaker is a good start.

·
SLING-N-SHOT
4,405 Posts
Wood burning is very cool indeed.
Agreed, wood burning is fun, but to do good quality work, you need a professional burner. I have an Optima dual pen unit from PJL Enterprises that I used extensively for the 13 yrs I made flutes, which was over 10 years ago, and it's still going strong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
SLING-N-SHOT
4,405 Posts
Another one!
You cannot go wrong with a Mora for carving, great choice....I have several, including some of the dedicated carvers
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]
So is mora a type of blade or a brand?[/quote

Brand.....been made in Sweden for 125 years.....since 1891.fantastic knives

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Hey that is a good looking knife. Looks like about 3 1/2 inch drop point. Very good design, will last for a lifetime if you take care of it. I have a Swedish knife that I bought when I was 15. Still going strong 60 years later.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts