Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, So I'm hunting wood pigeons at around 20m-30m with 25/20 0.75 single bands and 10mm steel. Of course I'm aiming for head but have had a few shots hit the body and appear to just bounce off. Question is am I under-powered with my bands and steel and maybe need to go double bands heavier steel?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,096 Posts
You may even be overpowered... Though sounds kinda in the expected power range. You could go down to 22-18 maybe...

I'd probably go with smaller ammo as well - 9.5 or 8mm minimum. Or .36 lead ball

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
I’m assuming you have short draw? I think what Matt said is sound advise, I narrower cut and 9.5’s you should be able to get into the feathers. But pigeons can be very tough. My hunting setup right now is .65 elastic cut 5/8 to 3/8 (16mm to 10mm) with a 11”active length and 7/16 (11mm) steel, this maxes out at full butterfly and sends a sleeping pill. So far I’ve had nothing fly away from it after being hit.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
You may even be overpowered... Though sounds kinda in the expected power range. You could go down to 22-18 maybe...

I'd probably go with smaller ammo as well - 9.5 or 8mm minimum. Or .36 lead ball
Matt said it for me, grab yourself some .36 (9mm'ish) lead.

I'm assuming you have short draw? I think what Matt said is sound advise, I narrower cut and 9.5's you should be able to get into the feathers. But pigeons can be very tough. My hunting setup right now is .65 elastic cut 5/8 to 3/8 (16mm to 10mm) with a 11"active length and 7/16 (11mm) steel, this maxes out at full butterfly and sends a sleeping pill. So far I've had nothing fly away from it after being hit.
That sounds like quite the setup mate, I'll have to give that a try. What type of elastic are you using?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.