Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a composite material that is roughly 40% wood fiber, I have spent several months trying to get the composites to look like real wood as much as possible. I have tried different temperatures, parameters, speeds, composite percentage, sanding techniques, staining techniques, layer orientations, infill patterns etc etc and have finally figured out the method to get good looking slings. I wish I could express how happy I am about this, I have gone through a good amount of material just to get to this point and I want to show my progress. Here is another scout that I made and dyed it with a stain called "black cherry". The sling has the texture of wood, the feel and the smell of wood. It took the stain with no issue and some of the fibers adsorbed the stain in a way that resembles grain. I feel that I can step up my game as a sling maker now with this technique.

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you strength tested it?
Yessir, I always check the fork strength and the stresses caused by everyday use with each one I make. This particular one can hold hold a hold at least 50lb per fork (the only weight I have at the moment) and still was able to withstand me pushing on the weight a certain degree. I also try and twist the forks and handle as much as i can with my hands and I couldn't get it to budge. I think she is okay to go to the field now.

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
985 Posts
That's amazing looking! I've always felt wood and naturals had the edge due to aesthetics, but that thing is gorgeous! It sounds pretty durable, but how else does it differ from wood? i.e. - weight, water resistance, cracking and chipping, etc. Regardless, amazing work! Anyone would be proud to carry that thing.

Reactions: Tag

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's amazing looking! I've always felt wood and naturals had the edge due to aesthetics, but that thing is gorgeous! It sounds pretty durable, but how else does it differ from wood? i.e. - weight, water resistance, cracking and chipping, etc. Regardless, amazing work! Anyone would be proud to carry that thing.
Thanks mate, I imagine it should be able to handle water fairly well due to it mostly being a plastic, however I will be sure to test it out. As far as weight goes, its about on par with a hardwood, at least I think it is. It has a nice solid heft to it. I don't imagine it will crack on it's own just from experience, but I imagine that leaving it in the car on a hot summers day may cause some warping. When I did a fork hit test, it seems to indent the plastic rather than cause it to chip, but I imagine that it is a possibility (I made some targets that just snapped on impact, though they don't have the same parameters, I imagine the same thing could happen to a printed one if hit hard enough, not in my experience however) I also think the fibers may help prevent cracking as they are interlocked in the entire sling. It is a nice shooter though and can't wait to show it off. I am actually making another as I have a friend whose son is graduating and figured it would make a great gift.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Very nice.
Interested to see how impact resistant it is. How badly does it dent? Im still not immune from fork hits

1 - 18 of 18 Posts