Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh yeah I use to get impatient but the older I got the more patient I became. I just seal the ends and let them sit at least a season or two. I was very heavy into making natural forks a few years ago so I have a bunch that have been drying. Now to get back into it for a while. They were always fun to shoot. I'll post one I'm working on that's been drying for a few years. I cut it on a survival trip and it got me small game. Well now I'm carving it down to an actual beauty lol it was raw on my trip.

Sent from my SM-J260AZ using Tapatalk

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate that you have the product and the patience to let your forks dry naturally. I am off to look at a Black Walnut tree today that should ha e shed a few gifts since a good wind a few days ago.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
That black walnut should make a beautiful fork! Good luck today buddy!

·
Mojave Mo
5,167 Posts
I appreciate that you have the product and the patience to let your forks dry naturally. I am off to look at a Black Walnut tree today that should ha e shed a few gifts since a good wind a few days ago.

That black walnut should make a beautiful fork! Good luck today buddy!

Right on slingbrother, I got it! It is a huge tree that has been dead awhile and split in half. I found this branch already de-barked by weather. It seems that bugs like the security of being under the bark? Check it out! I will as little surprised that I couldn't find another good fork though I did grab some Red Oak on the way back. I am not ready to cut a round and slab it. The surprise of working a natural is getting into me!
f7ee36112ce4aa24a1171bde27165e47.jpg
7b34c55d17a6916fe1f846c3a2d6ce45.jpg

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Man, the saw you use don't mess around! Interesting piece of wood since I have never seen any in person... So when you carve that, do you make the center ring of that wood the center of your handle? And the same for the forks? More or less? Not trying to be cute here, just trying to learn something about these eastern hardwoods.

Pixs as you go please.

·
Mojave Mo
5,167 Posts
Man, the saw you use don't mess around! Interesting piece of wood since I have never seen any in person... So when you carve that, do you make the center ring of that wood the center of your handle? And the same for the forks? More or less? Not trying to be cute here, just trying to learn something about these eastern hardwoods.
Pixs as you go please.
Luckily I don't have any trade secrets. However, your question is going to make me plan a little better than my first few hacks. I am guessing that center of this fork might be blackish once I get into it. I want to pull a shape out of that will give me the contrast of that outer wood. Their might be significant contrast once I am in there which could be convenient. I've been tracking Atlas Slingshots out of Sweden. That dude pulls some magic out of his work, and I believe he only uses his woodcarving tools to do it. I've got a good bag of carving gear, but I like to rip the snot out of it with an 80grit FlapSanding Wheel bolted to my bench grinder first.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Pixs as you go please.
Luckily I don't have any trade secrets. However, your question is going to make me plan a little better than my first few hacks. I am guessing that center of this fork might be blackish once I get into it. I want to pull a shape out of that will give me the contrast of that outer wood. Their might be significant contrast once I am in there which could be convenient. I've been tracking Atlas Slingshots out of Sweden. That dude pulls some magic out of his work, and I believe he only uses his woodcarving tools to do it. I've got a good bag of carving gear, but I like to rip the snot out of it with an 80grit FlapSanding Wheel bolted to my bench grinder first.

Cool... So you are going to try to shape the handle in such a way that you utilize both light and dark. Like having the handle centered in the heart then have it swell out into the white where your palm would be?

·
Mojave Mo
5,167 Posts
Pixs as you go please.

Cool... So you are going to try to shape the handle in such a way that you utilize both light and dark. Like having the handle centered in the heart then have it swell out into the white where your palm would be?
Yuppers. Just like that if all goes well!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just realized that we HiJacked Mikmaq's thread... sorry Mik, just got carried away.
Hahaha it's all good. They locked me out for a bit! I quest I have to resort to long messages for now. So how your slinging? How's the family? Talk to brother Josiah lately? Hahhaaa j.k.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts