Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some pix of a group of laminates i am working on. Can't really see the laminations from the pix, but as i finish them i will post more pix. Woods include American Chestnut(reclaimed from an old barn), curly cherry, cherry, walnut, cocobolo, bamboo, birds eye maple, curly maple, and khaya mahogany. I have also made some brass/walnut pins for the handles, that don't really show up well in the pictures. The ergos are my own design that i am calling 'fleur de sling', for lack of a better name at this time. They fit the hand like a glove. Enjoy!!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,043 Posts
Good work Flippinout! Very nice lams Bud. Flatband

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

As for the comments from USA slingshot, you might want to check who you copied, as the design of mine in question is fundamentally copied from Flatband's Chief AJ WRS slingshot. Fortunately for all, i only make slingshots for myself and friends as a way to decompress from a stressful job. There really is nothing new under the sun (especially when it comes to something as simple as a slingshot frame) and to think that a design as simple and plain as what is in question to be proprietary is, in my opinion, self -aggrandizing and silly. Regardless, you have no fear of competition from me, just do you due diligence when assuming you have a unique and patentable design.

·
Resigned
729 Posts
Thats why I stick with natural forks as there seems to be too much of a concern lately for who's frame belongs to who ?

When I was a kid I had a board cut I made with the help of my grand uncle and I didnt even know that others made these nor did there exist a specific pattern.

Strange thing is that I have been tempted to make myself a board cut for old time sake, but this competitive "my frame your frame" thing is very off putting. So if I ever make one I wont post pics of it to avoid someone laying claim to some design. Not that there could be because my slingshots dont even use over the top attachments But you never know..

While there are copy cat slingshot makers/sellers I've seen on ebay one I doubt everyone is into this...

Nice work on your slingshots flippinout, truely nice work..

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Thanks for the feedback.As for the comments from USA slingshot, you might want to check who you copied, as the design of mine in question is fundamentally copied from Flatband's Chief AJ WRS slingshot. Fortunately for all, i only make slingshots for myself and friends as a way to decompress from a stressful job. There really is nothing new under the sun (especially when it comes to something as simple as a slingshot frame) and to think that a design as simple and plain as what is in question to be proprietary is, in my opinion, self -aggrandizing and silly. Regardless, you have no fear of competition from me, just do you due diligence when assuming you have a unique and patentable design.
I agree silly it is if your looking for a name for the slingshots on the ones in the first picture,my initial thought when I first saw them was of an ant. How about (formica rufa) a southern wood ant or horse ant.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I didn't mean to start a comotion. My concern was your making an exoic wood laminate design that resembles ours. That's what ours are and that's why I jumped to conclusions. I'm sorry, nice work keep it up.

@nico... There are pleany of designs out there, what I like to do is find my favorite designs(pick 2 or 3) and put what u like about them together. And if your a constant forum user u should know if there are any like that already. I'll encourage you and everyone else to make yourself a good desgn an to do it for fun!

·
Resigned
1,142 Posts
I like that fleur-de-lis pattern; I haven't seen anything like that. Very interesting and Go Saints!

I'm with Nico (again); my naturals are safe from the drama. I'm getting to where I don't enjoy this forum anymore because of it.

DH, your avatars started strong with the 50's Coffee Lady and continue to get stronger on a constant basis. Is that a self-portrait?

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,147 Posts
Ha! I was teaching a class the other night, and noticed that one of my students was doodling. Originally the hand holding the slingshot was making an obscene gesture. I liked it so much, I asked him to erase the finger and put a slingshot in the hand for me. Too bad you can't see the detail on top of his head, it features a rooftop patio complete with pool, potted plant, and stuff. And there is a really tiny man with a lawn mower shaving my chest. Ha ha! I think my students do a lot of herbal recreation.

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am going to get on the soapbox for a moment for personal and selfish reasons, so please bear with me.

I make and shoot slingshots because it brings me joy. It is simple, fun, pure, and relaxing. I am an enthusiast. I came to this forum because i don't have fellow enthusiasts in my area to share this passion with, i am sure that this is the case with many of the users here.

I post pictures of what i am making to show other enthusiasts what i have done and as a way of sharing my love of the sport and craft. If i were to consider selling my work, the cost would be ridiculously high as i spend inordinate amounts of time carefully and lovingly bringing the wood back to life. So the consideration that i could in anyway hurt someone's business by simply crafting an item out of love and therapeutic necessity is ridiculous.

Enough said. At present, i doubt i will share my works on this site again, though i truly regret that this is the case. Perhaps if there were a discussion group titled "for non profit enthusiasts only' where shooters and craftsmen could showcase there work simply to share their skill and craft, much of the BS could be mitigated.

As to the statement by USA that i have copied their exotic hardwood. Please get yourself up to speed on what is exotic. Do cherry and walnut trees not grow in your woodlot next door?? Beyond that, do you feel that competition limits the level of your participation in an industry or does it grow an industry whereby you may profit even more? Think about it- that is a foundation of the free market economy for better or worse. Seems like shooting yourself in the foot don't it? Sorry for getting back on my soapbox, i tire of money and competition being the primary motivating factor for any movement in todays world. What ever happened to doing something for the shear joy of being engaged in the process??

Thank you all for your patience and understanding.

And seriously- how about a place on this forum where we can showcase our craft without the BS of "this is mine...you can't...you shouldn't..."??!! Call it " The Passionate craftsman corner" "No whiners, only winners", "doing it for fun"..... you get the picture.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Amen Flippinout.

I love this site, since i found it just a few months ago i've made several boardcuts of both my designs and others. This is supposed to be fun. It seems like every other thread on this forum ends up in this type of bickering.

If this same issue continues to be argued on every other post this site will go down the tubes in a hurry.

Is their this much of the same type of bickering on other forums like jacks shed? just curious.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Flippinout i love your woodworking skills and you make a very nice slingshots. Half the fun is make them and the other half is shooting them. I think i have been a big cause with alot of the moaning going on here but i too like to share what i've made with other fellow enthusiasts.

·
"Crafter"
1,897 Posts
Im down with this Copying design BS too... im considered one of the lurkers I guess but im pretty sure ive done and video'd more than any of the "actives" i never get a decent responce so i don't bother posting anymore this forum is now just a showroom(To flog) two forked peices of multiplex that each and everyone is trying to claim as unique. The problem was not started by lucifer93 it was the fact that were trying to sell stuff to each other that frankly each and every "other" could just create themselves ebay buy and sell the world.... In fact i mite head over to ebay to lurk there could be a good topic on what varnish to use or how to rig some naturals up. peace (In fact irony is we are nearly arguing with each other now) the mood has definatly swayed.... Out of interest USA how many of them have you sold?

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have never sold a slingshot. Just give them away, trade, and to the dismay of my wife have enough lying around to arm a small nation. I like things that shoot, beautiful wood, and woodcraft. Slingshots satisfy, especially with two young sons underfoot. My 3 year old shoots and makes his own slingshots out of anything fork shaped. I also make wooden bows and tool boxes, in addition to furniture and boats. I find peace and calm shaping wood. In a world full of chaos, a stressfull career and young children, slingshots and woodcraft are better than pills or a bottle. That is why I am up in arms about the copycat issue. Slingshotforum.com was a campfire of like minded folks I feel a kinship with, albeit virtual. Bickering about thing that are fundamentally irrelavant and founded in insecurity and lack are a put off. We all come here for the love of the hobby and its importance in our lifestyle. I am certain 99% of users agree. My 2cents!

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,147 Posts
Joerg, are you getting the message? If this site becomes a showcase for ambitious would-be entrepreneurs it will be dead in no time.

Nico, Jmplsnt, Gopher, Lucifer, and, most of all, Flippinout: I am with you. There are other forums. Let the businessmen have this one if they want it. I too am growing weary of the b.s.!

·
Resigned
1,142 Posts
I am curious of this "bickering" that goes on in the Jacksshed forum. I've been there for a decent while and haven't seen anything that bad. Yes, I love that forum as it is almost my mindset turned into a forum, but again, I know not of what you are talking. Fish even allows other catapult vendors to openly flog their products on HIS forum in an act of tolerance that is tantamount to taking money out of his own pocket just to keep the peace. I don't know how much more open-minded it can be than that.

Flippinout, I liked your catties and added the pic of them on the deer skin to my pictures collection, now over 3,000 strong. Again, I like that fleur-de-lis for several reasons. I like the looks of those double-ambi's and it reminds me of DH's Boston Blacky and a few others I have seen whose names escape me presently (makers please don't be offended).

You build wooden boats? I would like to see some pics of some of the other wood stuff you come up with if you don't mind. For years I spurned wood for most everything, being a metal and plastic guy. Now I find the greatest satisfaction in a well-balanced natural with linked chain bands.

Luxor, I have replied to some of your posts. Some posts are destined to recieve more action than others but I do know what you're saying.

Finally, to quote flippin "and to the dismay of my wife have enough lying around to arm a small nation"--absolutely priceless, 100% in line with what I do (along with giving them to new enthusiasts/trading with a few other makers), and the words of a man who is at peace and contented with what he is doing for himself. Keep at it and keep us posted of your endeavours.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.