Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No pics yet, but here's the story...

When we moved into our house, we inherited a virtually new king size Tempur Pedic bed. High end and super expensive, bit not really all that comfy. We finally got around to replacing it and my wife, being just a bit on the frugal side, came up with some uses for the 200 pound hunk of luxury foam. One twin bed sized chunk was freed up to be the mattress for the box spring and frame she saved because she just knew we'd have a use for it some day! We also got three really nice dog beds. Then she shocked me and suggested the leftover chunk might be useful in my slingshot endeavors! So based on the cost of the original, I shuffled down to the basement with my $500 chunk of squishy stuff!

Previous experience showed that foam has a bad tendency the throw things back at me, but this isn't regular foam! Started off gentle with 1/2" clay shot at about 50% draw. It bounced off, but didn't go far. So I grabbed a marble and repeated. Same thing. So next shot I stepped it up a bit. If bounced again, but not as far! I figured the properties of the stuff must come into play with harder hits. So I gritted my teeth, kept a change of underwear close by, and let loose a full power shot. Dead stop! The marble literally connects and just drops to the ground right in front of the foam. It actually seems to roll down the front of it. It's also virtually silent and is a really weird thing to observe. I tried 1/4 steel and it penetrated and stuck a bit under the surface. I'll have to try with 3/8 and 7/16, but as for marbles, it's the best backstop I've ever seen. I don't know how it will hold up to hundreds of hits, but I'm gonna mess with it for a bit and see what happens.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Thats Cool man I shot some memory foam that was left behind at a job site once and you're right it's comical how it transfers (or rather dissipates?) kinetic energy! Marbles just hit, dump all their juice & drop lol.

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I've been thinking an old fridge. Just hang your t-shirts in back or in this case, cut your foam to fit. String up your targets and slam the door! When you are ready to shoot, just open the door and blaze away. weather proof too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.